[Cabs-talk] [cabs-talk] Diversity and the NFB

Haben Girma habnkid at aol.com
Tue Feb 10 03:42:34 UTC 2009

A few months back I called the city of Portland's Transportation
Department requesting that they place chirping signals at a particularly
difficult intersection near my house. Today, finally, the city sent
someone who actually did just that! I was amazed at how quickly the man
was able to set up the chirping signals, and how little work it
required. Reflecting on the whole situation, I wondered if maybe I could
start a volunteer group to set up chirping signals at the intersections
around Portland. Then my boyfriend said, "You know what the NFB would say?"

"Oh shit," I was suddenly hot and took off my hat. I felt momentarily
stressed, ashamed, panicked. I knew exactly what the NFB would say. The
NFB would say chirping signals are not necessary, a properly trained
blind person can safely cross the intersections by listening to traffic
patterns. Suddenly my plan seemed stupid, and I felt guilty for asking
the city to set up an chirping intersection near my home.

After some thought, after talking it out with my boyfriend, I realized
that the blind population is too diverse for the NFB to dish out
standards for every single one of those blind people. I attended the
Louisiana Center for the Blind and in some ways my confidence in
crossing streets shrunk from that experience. I am blind, but I'm hard
of hearing, too, and hence I cannot trust my ears to help me get across
streets. I use a combination of vision and hearing to cross most
streets, but some streets I simply do not feel safe crossing. The
intersections that cannot be tamed by my vision and hearing are those
for which I want the city of Portland to install chirping signals.

My point is that the NFB should not be treated as law by all blind
people. I've had to pick and choose which standards of the NFB to adopt,
and which I should discard because I am hard-of-hearing. There are other
blind people with multiple disabilities that probably experience similar
frustrations with the NFB. I noticed that the girl in the youtube video
who rants against the NFB has a partial facial paralysis. I strongly
feel that the NFB should more vocally acknowledge the non-homogeneity of
the blind population.

Sincerely,
Haben