[Cabs-talk] [cabs-talk] Diversity and the NFB

Michael Peterson its_mike at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 10 05:35:17 UTC 2009

    Hi Haben.
I like you have multiple disabilities am totally blind and also have about a
50% hearing loss using "smart" hearing aids". I wondered if the chirping
signal would be helpful and have used some over in Los angeles near braille
institute.
This isn't because of the NFB but although I understand your dread of
crossing some streets especially more complex ones with islands and multiple
turns, I have major concerns about the chirping signals.
1.  For me, when the signal chirps it interferes with the traffic I mean I
can hear traffic but it goes over quieter cars.  If someone makes a turn or
I veer I think I'm less likely to notice.
2.  In many cities the audible signals only work certain hours.  Even if
they were an advantage I can't use them whenever I want.
3.   Most of these signals have one sound for north south another for east
west.  If I don't live there I don't know which is which.  I might or might
not be able to decipher at the intersection with long careful listening.
4.  Even when I hear traffic I have to watch my veering, in Fact one time I
actually crossed Van Nuys and Sherman Way two very busy streets
cattycornered during the 4:00 p.m rush hour.  God was with me because not
one car honked or squealed even a tire.  The only noticeable thing that
happened was a friend of mine happened to be driving by at that time she
jumped out of her car like grease lightning but by the time she got across I
was well on my way the wrong direction heading towards my destination.  I
stated noticing something was wrong, wrong landmarks etc about the time she
found me.  I should have been going east not North.
My point is the extra distraction it would seem could cause me to line up
improperly more frequently.

I do understand where your coming from, but you should remember the sole or
at least primary focus of the NFB are the blindness issues.
It's possible to be a member of the NFB and support them where blind people
generally are concerned and differ because of extinuating circumstances like
multiple disabilities, or some other minority concerns I might not be
thinking about just now.
I know someone who was blind and  severely deaf and he took buses to work
and carried signs with different slogans one told the driver to call his
stop, another ask people to cross him I imagine sometimes he had a long
waiting time but that's what he had to do. Once he got stuck in an elavator
for a while and it was really tramatic because all he could do was ring the
bell and hope someone knew he was there.
 I ask a counselor "why does he travel by himself? She laughed and said lots
of people might ask you that same question.
If I did decide audible signals were helpful I wouldn't appeal to the city
on the basis of blindness but rather on the basis of a multiple handicap
blindness combined with poor hearing.
I think though if I did instead of an audible signal I would like a
vibrating one on the traffic light.  I've also toyed with the idea of
tactile lines on the street to keep me straight while crossing that's
definitely something the NFB wouldn't like in the majority and rightfully
so.  Most blind people don't need tactile markers they can hear good. I
don't ask for those not because the NFB would get mad at me but I do have
concerns that the sighted public might misunderstand.  They might think I
couldn't function in the work place without special beepers to tell me where
my desk the bathroom etc are and they might think I need tactual markers on
the floor to keep me from hurting or endangering myself.
I don't want other blind people to be turned down for work because of
misconceptions I inadvertently create.
Sometimes that means I have to sacrifice at least I feel I do for the
greater good.
But our philosophy about ourselves and our blindness as well as our
responsability to the blind community doesn't just happen.  I did things
when I was younger I might not do today and visa versa.
So in my view that's just a decision you made for better or worse and it's
done.
You can still be as much a federationist as you used to be.
But, perhaps folks like you and I should join the deaf blind division and
communicate these concerns.
I never joined because like a medium or high partial I said why do I need to
be in the deaf blind group I can hear?
Oh yah try telling my wife that when she has to repeat herself several
times.
Thank God she's not in to throwing things or I might need a beeping sound
shield.
Keep the faith.
Mike