[Cabs-talk] [cabs-talk] Diversity and the NFB

Haben Girma habnkid at aol.com
Tue Feb 10 17:56:07 UTC 2009

You really should share your idea of a portable and personal traffic
light vibrator with the adaptive tech companies. Those are awesome ideas.

I have not heard specifically about the blind in Japan. In the book I am
reading a Japanese American ablebodied woman discovers that whenever she
does or says anything non-Japanese people treat her like she is
retarded. She claims that many of the people she met treated her as if
she were non-human whenever she made a small cultural mistake. Thus,
from her book I deduce that the Japanese disabled community is probably
also very dehumanized. I am aware of a practice in China, Korea, to
train blind people to be masseurs and ban sighted people from becoming
masseurs. A while back an organization of sighted masseurs in South
Korea were complaining about the discrimination they faced, about how
they could not practice their chosen professions legally. I definitely
can see how the blind can receive respect for possessing a specialized
skill. I disagree with the discrimination against the sighted, and I
disagree with the few alternative employment opportunities for the blind
in those countries. I do not know Japan's story on this topic, but from
what I hear from you it is probably similar to Kore in some ways.

I'm sorry to hear about that awful tour guide in Germany. I was
exploring Italy and Greece with my boyfriend back in January and I
definitely noticed that the general population seems to expect people
with disabilities to rely on human support systems. For instance, a
hotel may say they are wheelchair accessible when all they mean is that
they are willing to carry a person and a wheelchair up their stairs, no
elevator. A totally different way of life, really. Quite a few people in
Greece didn't know what a white cane means. One guy even told me that
Greece "doesn't have much blind people." The blind people are there,
just much less visible than in the US.

I read "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down" last year for a class.
That book wonderfully highlights the clash between Western and Hmong
views on medicine and healing.

take care,
Haben