[Cabs-talk] [cabs-talk] Diversity and the NFB

Michael Peterson its_mike at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 10 11:17:50 UTC 2009

    Hi Haben. You just gave me an interesting set of ideas.
We have navigation like Senderon on the braille note so why if one needs a
traffic signal couldn't a device be created with sensors the deaf blind
person could carry with him/her.  This would most likely be a lot cheaper
than putting a box on every traffic light in fact it could be set up to
pulsate on your wrist like a cell phone alarm on vibrate it could give a
series of two pulses for crossing north south and a long pusle for crossing
east west.
If you visit another city you would still have the device just like a white
cane or a guide dog
 it would be with you not sedentary.
In my mind it's about the size of a braille watch and kind of like a light
probe a blind switch board operator might use.  It probably operates like an
infr red sensor.
It might even be usable to protect blind folks without a hearing loss from
highbred silent cars.

Also the money issue I'm sure such a device could read money in braille, for
example if you have openbook and or most likely Kurzweill as a part of the
scanner they have a bill scan feature. You can even now attach a braille
note or a braille sense to your computer and probably read the money that
way.
Also since we know the NFB believes very vehemently in braille literacy and
we know there is currently a cellphone that takes pictures and reads back
labels etc verbaly, the next step should be to give that phone a small
attachment that would allow it's user to read text messages or scanned
documents labels etc in braille.
When I sacrifice for the common good I attempt to come up with alternatives
that can work and at the same time bring people together.  In my view
staying inside without a whimper isn't for the good of anyone because it
puts sighted folks in the position of caretaker.  Just to give an
illustration of people feeling inconvenienced, a woman recently had eight
babies at once.  She's happy, her children I guess are happy but her mom
says she had six babies to take care of all ready and now has fourteen!
She's not a happy camper.
Most people on some level get really unhappy when they feel forced to treat
adults as children but they have a guilt thing going on.  When I speak of
self sacrifice for the common good by trying to clear a path for my blind
brothers and sisters I am not just helping them I'm helping society as a
whole including the government which about now could reduce expenses
significantly by employing the 70% or so of the disabled who currently don't
work.
Talk about a posative stimulus package!

But on the otherhand as you said in other cultures blind people see
sacrifice differently.
Speaking of the japaneese culture I either read or heard they actually have
a higher regard in general for the blind.  In fact many blind practictioners
do massage and other health wellness stuff that requires them to undergo
very rigorous training and discipline.  They don't just go to massage school
or at least the group I'm thinking of didn't.  I'm thinking I read it in the
New York times or readers diggest a few years ago and these women were
really highly regarded in Japaneese culture.
I don't know about other areas of employment they have but I had the
impression they are more progressive than western Europe.
This is in contrast to a Japaneese man Doctor Journigan spoke about who saw
blindness I think as a dying.
Maybe you can correct me if I'm wrong.
It's an interesting subject.
I know when I visited Germany I was kind of disappointed blind people aren't
treated nearly as well there as in the US in fact when I wanted to go on a
tour to the castles the tour guide refused saying "we don't have someone to
babysit you." Never mind I had flown across the world and was staying in
Munich unaccompanyed.  When I spoke to the hotel about it and said in
America they could never do this he said I understand but this isn't
America.
I did go to Switzerland and austria but I made a mistake, I knew I didn't
know the area so I stayed on the bus instead of breaking off the tour and
staying in the little town on the lake for a night.  I could've taken the
train back to munich the next day and got a cab to the hotel without a
problem but my confidence was shaken I guess because of conversations I was
having with the tour guide.
She was very nice but also very condescending.  The little town was very
quiet and sereen a postcard story book kind of town in the Alps.

I went there because I won a sweepstakes from Becks beer.  They felt bad
about the situation with the tour company  too and were going to provide me
with a private driver for the second tour I wanted.   I was going to go to
the Black forest.  My problem was my plane schedule was to close so I
couldn't work out the change.
I was suposed to have a guest with me but she couldn't go at the last minute
and I wasn't about to throw away the trip of a life time.
So I went.
Cultural diversity is something we really stress in my training to become a
VR counselor.
There is a book about the Hmon culture called "spirit catches you and you
fall  down about a little Hmon girl who has epilepsi.  Realy interesting
book.
Mike