[Cabs-talk] Disappointed

Michael Peterson its_mike at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 2 04:26:20 UTC 2009

Hi joe.  I'll float a few ideas by you and if they sound like what your
looking for maybe CA can propose something when the next available
oportunity comes along.  I didn't step out earlier because it seemed like
the assignment should be filtered down from the administration rather than
just a free for all type of submission or submissions.
The first idea is a "knowledge is power learning how to be better self
advocates student campaign.  We could cover areas such as selecting a
college, networking among peers and instructors, locating and acquiring
internships and developing braille literacy how to use it what aids and
appliances can enhance the student experience.
Invited to these seminars would be high schoo and college students who are
visually impaired(legally blind)  as well as parents or family members
helping them through college.  Also invited would be educators responsible
for guiding or providing education to the same high school / College
students.
The seminars would consist of panel discussions and perhaps workshops to
aide blind students in being independent active self advocates.

I would put together several seminars in sacramento, the bay area, Fresno,
Los angeles and San diego.
They would be held either in the spring or most likely mid August.

The seminars would include literature in braille CD and on tape and guests
would be invited to dialogue from the department of rehabilitation as well
as from college campuses. if the project is successful we could consider
launching it on a yearly or bi-yearly basis.
While it will contain mentoring as a component as you can see it would
contain lots more.
If the funds are not adequate we could scale the seminar down to two or
three cities across the state.
A second idea is to organize surveys and regional meetings amongst blind
computer users to determine what would be most helpful in making websites
and social networks more helpful for blind users.
We could invite vendors to the meetings and try to develop a common strategy
for aproaching and combating current problems.
 The difference between this and similar meetings is the focus would be
directly on talking to and getting feedback from the consumers asking them
what works what doesn't and how we can improve.It would not be a support
rally for one company such as my favorite GW-micro, or Freedom scientific,
zoom text or access to go.
upon compleetion of the survey and sieries of regional meetings a report
would be issued and the State could provide copies to apropriate parties
including the National student division and the National Federation of the
blind.  This data could be used in working with legal teams as well as in
providing useful information for the compilation ofNFB resolutions.
Sorry I didn't send these before but I'm currently a grad student and my
focus lately has been on trying to find an internship so I can get 600 hours
in order to compleete my VR counseling internship and fieldwork in time for
graduation in June 2010.That and the fact that I didn't want to appear to be
interfering with our divisions administrationwithout sanction caused me to
hold off and the error on my part is I Didn't ask for backing or permission
yet but if I'm on the right track let me know and I can submit these ideas
for refinement to the NFBC student board.
Also if this is what you are looking for feel free to post to the list it
might give the potential applicants a better idea of what specific kinds of
projects your looking for.
Also am I correct in asuming the $2,000 grant should be used for covering
such things as the workshop's expense.

Thanks
Mike Peterson