[Cabs-talk] Capcha

Justin Harford jharford at calmail.berkeley.edu
Wed Nov 11 21:04:52 UTC 2009

Good morning CABS

In light of the issues concerns brought up regarding the captcha that
we wanted to post I would like to say a few things with the purpose of
explaining myself and walking away with my dignity intact..

First to answer the question of whether captcha is really necessary,
the consensus among web developers is that it is, and not to keep out
blind people or blind/deaf people as is the feeling in some parts, but
to keep out spambots which may easily post messages to a form as well
as any human if no precautions are taken.  It was expressed that
captcha is consisting of visual images that blind people cannot
access, yet this is not the definition of captcha.  A captcha is
merely a challenge that the user is put to in order to send a form.
It is supposed to be a challenge that only a human could complete.  It
could be visual as most are, but it can be other things too.  I did a
captcha on a disability related sight that was a math problem.

I had selected this captcha keeping our blind users in mind.  I myself
use a screen reader and could speak of ample experiences in which, if
not for the small bit of vision I possess, I would have been cut out
from a number of things.  And no, the fact that I am a partial does
not minimize the outrage I feel when I see a captcha that is just an
image.

As a result of this awareness, I took pains to make sure that if A
captcha were to be implemented that it would be not only accessible to
a blind user, but pleasant and easy to use.  The one I selected gives
you clips from old movies and radio shows and has you copy the words
you hear into a field.  You don't have to get them all right.  It
automatically routs your cursor to the edit field so you don't have to
fumble about trying to find the edit field as the captcha is being
spoken.  In addition, the text that people input with this captcha
goes towards an effort to digitalize old books and audio in a text
format, another positive for the blind.  Thus I hope you would
understand my excitement at finding such an option.

However, while I do think that most of the arguments made against this
captcha are unfounded, there is one important point still standing,
the issue for deaf and blind users.  In the sight that hosted this
captcha, they mention this as well, and that alternatives like email
authentication should be offered.  .

I still sort of think that we should have an accessible captcha as it
sets an example for other developers to follow.  I can promise you
right away that you will not convince many developers to compromise
the security of their websites altogether by simply leaving captcha
out, much better to show them how blind people can manage such
security implementations.  is there no way we could set up an
alternative for deaf blind?  Or even better, set up a captcha that
asks basic math problems like that one I tried a while back?

Meanwhile, I have deleted the link to the form on our contacts page,
thus making it impossible for anyone to access the form from our home
page.  If anyone still cares to give input on the matter, the form can
be still found directly at:

http://www.nfbcal.org/cabs/contact/contactform.php

Eventually I will just delete it from the server.

When I found that option, I was just so overly excited at how much
better it was from other accessible captchas I had done, that I just
wanted to show it off to people.  I apologize for whatever
inconveniences it may have caused and hope that at least those who
tried the form might see where I was initially coming from.

Regards
Justin Harford
CABS Secretary