[Cabs-talk] Great Job Forum-goers!

Angela fowler fowlers at syix.com
Mon Oct 12 17:28:42 UTC 2009

Mike and listers:
	When considering this question I think back to the day I first
became involved in CABS. I was immediately struck by the warm welcome I
received from CABS members, and the fact that I was immediately given an
opportunity to contribute. I have taken both these things to heart.
	Mike, you speak of a new member who joined the organization at the
recommendation of a friend but knows little about us, nor about the
resources available to blind people in California. I have worked with
several new members over the past several months. The first thing I do is
give them a call. I tell them a little about CABS, then ask them some
interested questions about themselves. In that conversation most of the time
the opportunity comes up to offer them something: some information, some
resources, maybe even help or advice. My goal with that first phone call is
to give them something concrete in the name of CABS that will be of help to
them in their lives.
	During that phone call, or during a follow-up call, I invite them to
join us in some activity or event. It could be a social event such as the
recently completed River Rafting trip, or a membership meeting. The key is
to invite them to join something and to welcome them with open arms when
they get there.
	Most of the time during our conversations I learn something about
the new member, something about their interests, there skills, what they
enjoy doing. At this point I am able to give them an opportunity to
contribute to CABS, a chance to be an important contributing member of a
vibrant and growing organization.
	The relationship between CABS and an individual member is one of
mutual giving. I know that CABS has given me back far more than what I have
been able to give. I have received practical knowledge which no classroom
can provide, friendships which will last a lifetime, and more smiles and
laughter than I can count. Most precious to me though, I have been given a
chance to belong to something, to contribute to an organization which truly
is making a difference in the lives of people. If I can pass that wonderful
feeling on to others, then I'll know I'm somewhere close to where I want to
be.
Sincerely
Angela Fowler