[Cabs-talk] Great Job Forum-goers!

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 14:00:53 UTC 2009

Hi Mike,

  Good questions for sure.
 To answer the first one.
To answer your question relating to differentiating one’s self  to a
new cabs member, I first  would have to  say that I am here running in
this election for  the  individuals  who are new to blindness, who may
not understand what our philosophy is all about.  I would like to do
my best to make cabs open and accessible to every student who has
interest in being a part of it.   I want to be able to hear the
concerns of the membership, and address those concerns with the same
urgency and  vested interest as I would my own.    In short,  I want
the new member to feel like  that five dollars and the   two hours of
your time is well spent.  That you feel empowered to do something with
 cabs, an be as involved with the NFB as you would like.  The last
thing that cabs would like to  portray  ourselves  is as an
organization that  only really pops up once a year, asks for money and
 talks your ear off.
I know that I am here to take  the time and give the same positive
reinforcement, mentorship and presence that I was very fortunate to
get to the new members of our division,   who  may develop into great
leaders; not just here, but  in  whatever field, or areana they wish
to impact.

To the   second question.
   I  actually have given this a great amount of thought, considering
the short amount of time I’ve  had to sit on it.  I think that  I
would think about the possibility of     taking on Aziza’s potential
vacant office, if I was  absolutely  without a shadow of a doubt
confident that I could  help the  board accomplish with it’s set out
to do from  that position.  To be honest with you, I’m not  confident
that I can. As if the case with  all of the offices on this board, the
skill-sets  needed in this position are nothing to be taken lightly,
and I  greatly appreciate the dedication, skill and talent that
Aziza’s shown to  make that position a very successful and productive
one.
  That said, I feel  that when you  make a decision to take  on a
leadership role  and  or  any  role that requires of you  to be
successful, using the skills and talents that you have, you should
consider if you are  putting yourself in a position to be successful
or not. If you  are not putting yourself in that position to gbe
successful, you are  not only doing yourself a disservice, not just
the team you work with, but the individuals you work for.
 So,  at this moment,  I don’t believe I would consider  the office of
secretary.
  However,  this may change, I  still have  to speak to  other people
who have  served in this capacity not  only in cabs, but in various
parts of our organization and in other organizations to fairly weigh
it out.
  Thank you for your questions Mike, I think it’s good that  people
are still asking questions, and should feel as if they can even after
the forum because  everybody should  feel like they are  a part of
this conversation.