[Cabs-talk] A question on Grade2 Braille

kwakmiso at aol.com kwakmiso at aol.com
Sat Apr 16 04:19:17 UTC 2011

Hello,
Before I begin my e-mail, I would like to let you know that this e-mail
may be quite long, but please if you could help, I would appreciate it.

I am originally from South Korea.
In Korea, English is one of required subjects since 3rd grade.
Students first learn grade 1 version of English braille.
Grade 2 braille is not introduced to the students until 8th grade.
I moved to the USA when I was in 7th grade.
I knew grade 2 English braille only partially.
After a while, I picked up grade 2 braille as I actually learned
English in real life situations.

A few days ago, one of my friends in Korea who is in 8th grade
currently asked me a question about be contraction.(dots 2, 3)
His question was,
"When do I use 2,3 contraction?
For example, when I write word 'better' can I use the 2,3 contraction?"
I answered no. Then he asked if there was any particular reason for it.
I couldn't think of any reason.
Also he asked if all words beginning with 'be' shouldn't be written
with 2,3 contraction.
Since I learned grade 2 English braille like picking up a language for
survival, I never thought about it before.
I could tell him which words are written with 2,3 contraction in the
beginning and which are not, but I couldn't find any specific rule with
this.

Are there any sources with infos on rules for grade2 braille?
Or could anyone explain this matter?

Miso Kwak