[Cabs-talk] Advice on Independent Living Training in the summer of 2013?

Latisha Lyles latisha Lyles latisha.lyles.inc at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 06:11:26 UTC 2013

Well, its been such a long time for me, but I did get my training at
more than one location.  For my mobility training that began in both
junior and senior high.  After I graduated from high school I did a
summer program at the Foundation for the Blind, at least that was the
name at the time.  Anyway, that consisted of learning how to use
different kitchen appliances, how to manage money, how to shop and so
on.  Years later, when I moved to 29 Palms, California I went to
Braille Institute there I learned other mobility skills, my braille
skills, discovered other much needed skills such as, sensory
awareness.

I gained my strong sense of drive and determination after a rehab
counselor told me "You can't handle the real world".  In that I strive
to prove those that doubt me wrong.  To you I say congratulations and
thanks for asking for advice because there are many out there like you
and me that won't.

There are also things that you can do yourself too within your own
home.  Now, I am not saying go overboard, but start small and work
your way up because you don't want to get overwhelmed.  First and
foremost, you want to keep in mind that your limitations can work in
your favor and they can also work against you.  Take all that you do
in stride and don't go too fast, but make things happen the way that
you want them to you see what I mean.

Final note, I hope that the things that I have told you that have done
in my life have helped in some way.  Good luck to you when you go to
college.

Tisha