[Cabs-talk] access paratransit services

Vejas Vasiliauskas alpineimagination at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 20:44:12 UTC 2014

Hi all,
I want to sign up for access paratransit services, which is something that I know
many blind people have done to make transportation easier.  Yesterday afternoon I
called the customer service number to receive an application to fill out.  My
application was mailed to our house and should come within the next few days.  After
I fill it out and send it back I have to schedule an interview.
I would really appreciate any tips on what I can say for the interview to be accepted
for eligibility, as I know that Access does not always consider blindness enough of a
disability to be able to use their services.  I also wear hearing aids, if that helps
at all, because I have moderate hearing loss and they are meant to help.  I have also
heard that you can appeal if you are not accepted.
Also has anyone heard of Dial-A-Ride and signed up for it succesfully?? Did you need
an interview for that? I have heard that they work well except that they all take an
hour to refill and are not available between 12 and 1 PM.  Is this true?
Thanks in advance.
Vejas