[Cabs-talk] Receiving Financial Assistance from the DOR for College Expanses

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 20:56:09 UTC 2014

Hello Miso,
Dor's job is to "get you employed".
That is it. Nothing else, just to get you working for 6 months at a job
so they can close your case and get 70% of the money they spent on you
back from the federal government.
Always keep this in mind when you talk to them. They only will fund
stuff that will get you closer to this goal. What is your plan with DOR?
That may help me give you some ideas of how to ask for different stuff.
Also, who is your counselor's boss?
Do you know any people who have worked for DOR in the past? What county
do you live in?
This is a system and that is all. It really does not matter how much
money DOR spends on you as long as it fits within their system. The
difficulty is that you need to do all kinds of digging and asking
questions in informal situations to get what you need.
I may sound a little arrogant, and I'm sorry, but that is how I keep
from being disappointed when I don't get the funding that I request.
When I am able to do a full season, I fill out between 80-120
scholarship applications in a year and maybe get 10.
DOR just happens to be one of my largest funding sources, along with SSI
and one of the other Scholarships I get for going to a CSU. I opted out
of going to a UC for many reasons, but one was that DOR will not pay
completely for the UC colleges and it is a whole lot more difficult to
get funding for a UC than a CSU.
Granted, the CSU system is not the best (The administration is
horrible!), but doing things like going to Italy is the same price as
staying in CA. So I am attending one of the most expensive Italian
Colleges for a little while while paying really nothing...
If your parents make under the $150000 a year mark, you are able to
apply for some governmental aid. I would attend any scholarship workshop
your school has, they will talk about the 3 types of government grants
there. It has something to do with "dream". There is also the Cal Grant
and Pel Grant.
But this is where Google is your friend. Do searches for:
scholarships for blind
government aid for students in CA
dealing with DOR counselors in CA
Hopefully something will answer your questions there.
But as I found when I went over seas, not even the top officials know
all their rules. I had to bring in the one exception in the SSI law that
allowed me to study over seas while still receiving SSI. They had to
verify it and do all kinds of checking, but because I had googled my
question and found this one little exception in the law, that helps me
to get my most steady source of funding, even over seas.
please reply with your questions and I can attempt to answer them.
thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs <http://www.brandonkeithbiggs.com/>