[Cabs] Successful Seminar at CSDB

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat May 16 05:20:20 UTC 2009

Hi CABSters,

We did indeed have an excellent visit to CSDB yesterday, and I was
honored to be a part of it. I think the students' enthusiasm really
reminded all of us why we do the things we do to keep CABS alive.

I've been thinking a lot about our visit and especially the warm
reception we got from the CSDB officials, and their invitation for us
to come back in September. I think we can do a lot of good by keeping
in touch with these students over the years and, whether or not they
decide to join CABS, offering them our mentorship, wisdom, and
experience.

I wonder if we can set up a partnership with CSDB and especially the
transitioning students (perhaps juniors, seniors and postgrads) and
maybe match one or two of their students with each of us to continue
contact between our visits? That way we can mentor them while they're
applying to colleges, looking for jobs, etc. I recognize not all  of
their students are college-bound but any of them can benefit from
having a blind mentor. I also suspect that more of these students
would be college-bound if they were exposed to successful blind
college students and had the information and resources to pursue a
college education.

So what do you guys think about setting up this kind of program and
maybe having monthly conference calls for all the CSDB student
participants and mentors, and then arranging visits two or three times
a year with information as well as a fun event?

This is obviously still an immature idea but, as membership committee
chairman, I would be willing to head this up if a group of you are
interested in participating.

Arielle