[Capchapohio] OSU vets offering free eye exams for service dogs during May

Sammons, Elizabeth Elizabeth.Sammons at rsc.ohio.gov
Wed Apr 11 18:23:42 UTC 2012

Please feel free to share this as appropriate.

Once again, the veterinary ophthalmologists in the Veterinary Medical Center at Ohio State are offering free eye exams for service dogs during the month of May. Qualified dogs must be registered in advance (by April 29) through the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists at www.acvoeyeexam.org/<http://www.acvoeyeexam.org/>

Below is an announcement about the program.

For Immediate Release                                              More Information:

April 9, 2012                                                                Melissa Weber, (614) 292-3752

Cell: (614) 327-6024

Free eye exams for service dogs at

Ohio State Veterinary Medical Center

Columbus, OH - Veterinary ophthalmologists from The Ohio State University Veterinary Medical Center (VMC) will offer free sight-saving eye exams for service dogs in May. Service Dog handlers and owners must pre-register between now and April 29 with the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists. www.acvoeyeexam.org<http://www.acvoeyeexam.org> <http://www.acvoeyeexam.org/>

Ohio State's board certified ophthalmologists are part of the ACVO(r)/Merial(r) National Service Dog Eye Exam Day, during which hundreds of veterinary ophthalmologists across the U.S. and Canada offer sight assessments to thousands of service dogs.

Service dogs include those that assist people who have physical limitations, as well as search and rescue dogs, police dogs, lead dogs, and pilot dogs. These animals are devoted helpers to their owners so it is important that they are in optimal health.

This is the fourth year the VMC has participated in National Service Dog Eye Exam Day. In 2011 the VMC provided 19 free exams.

"We really enjoy the opportunity to work with these wonderful service dogs and their owners and handlers and hope to increase our numbers examined again this year, says Dr. Anne Metzler, professor of Veterinary Clinical Sciences. "Vision screening is a very important part of their wellness care. Fortunately, most of the abnormalities that we have found in past years have been minor and not sight-threatening."

In order to participate, dogs must be active "working dogs" that were certified by or currently enrolled in a formal training program or organization; owners or agents for the dog(s) must register the animal online at  www.acvoeyeexam.org<http://www.acvoeyeexam.org> <http://www.acvoeyeexam.org/> .

Once registered, the owner or agent can call The Ohio State University Veterinary Medical Center at (614) 292-3551 to schedule an appointment.

About the college

Established in 1885, The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine has led the veterinary profession for over 125 years, offering cutting-edge expertise in animal care, research, teaching, and community involvement. Our Veterinary Medical Center serves 35,000 animal patients per year. Leadership in animal care includes expertise in all specialty areas, cutting edge diagnostic capabilities - many in partnership with The Ohio State University Medical Center - and clinical trials that provide our patients with the latest treatments available. Many of our veterinarians hold joint appointments in The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center and Nationwide Children's Hospital.

"Ohio State is the only veterinary school in the country on a campus with a comprehensive medical center offering seven health sciences colleges," said Lonnie J. King, dean and Ruth Stanton Chair in Veterinary Medicine. "We are proud to be recognized among the top in the nation, and plan to continue to provide leadership in the field as we strive to ensure a healthier world."

Known for advancements in total hip replacement in canines and the first feline leukemia vaccine, current research efforts include the Center for Retrovirus Research, the Comparative Pathology and Mouse Phenotyping Shared Service, the Food Animal Health Research Program in Wooster, as well as participation in Ohio State's interdisciplinary Public Health Preparedness for Infectious Diseases program. International partnerships include a recently signed memorandum of understanding with the International Livestock Research Institute (www.ilri.org<http://www.ilri.org> <http://www.ilri.org/> ). We admit up to 160 veterinary students per class, and offer a new comprehensive graduate program in Veterinary and Comparative Medicine with nearly 100 master's and Ph.D students. Currently, 55 students are enrolled in our unique Master's degree in Veterinary Public Health, a partnership with the College of Public Health. The college also boasts a five-veterinarian ambulatory practice in Marysville and offers all senior students a two-week rotation in large animal medicine. A unique partnership with the Capital Area Humane Society (CAHS) includes a resident in shelter medicine housed at the CAHS facility.
Ohio Rehabilitation Services Commission - www.rsc.ohio.gov<http://www.rsc.ohio.gov/>
Click to follow us at Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ohio-Rehabilitation-Services-Commission/155300754532533?sk=wall/>, Twitter<http://twitter.com/#!/OHRSC/>, YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/user/OhioRSCTV?feature=mhee>