[Capchapohio] my apologies comments from the audience

Carol Akers purplecakers at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 18 22:27:41 UTC 2012

Wow, I am surprised, or rather shocked at this posting. I attended this gathering of NFB local chapter members and THOUGHT everyone had a good time from all appeareances.  There was plenty of good food, friendly chatter and no fights or arguements.  Granted there was no schedule of planned topics to discuss, no games, music or singing, so I assumed everyone was on their own to discuss what they desired.  There was not just one group of people discussing things, but several, so no one monopolized the conversation.  I heard, food, mobility, ages of  blind children, yes the pizza party at OSSB, also books, soda machine versatility in the home, backpacks and fanny packs,  LOTS of Mainstream discussion, ADA passes, ADA card scanning and more.  I felt left out because out of the whole crew, I could not relate to the ADA scanning, passes or Mainstream since neither I nor Dusty participate in any of it.

I guess I am really puzzled at the politics comment because I heard nothing about any candidates, or comparison of blind organizations or such.  I did hear a couple people talking of the ACB convention for 2012 and upcoming 2013, but no other mention of organizations neither positive or negative.  So I am lost as to what the problem was with politics and discussion.

I can say I am very disappointed in the posting I read discrediting this gathering of "friends?"  People need to be more considerate in what is shared across the nation in social media and remember that it is a PUBLIC media in which many people read, judge and criticize both the writer and the topics discussed.  Private messaging is a much more appropriate manner to share one's feelings of dismay over events or topics. Actually referring back to Shelbi's remarks, we have had such a great time at Angie's summer gathering, I guess we all expected that there were no steadfast rules on what we were allowed to do and not allowed to do at a private gathering.  How often do we gather together, only monthly as a  chapter, right? Was there really a problem if we discussed anything we wanted to, as long as it was crowd appropriate and not obscene or vulgar?  I think not.  If we want to have a schedule of things to do at a gathering, we need to make it
 clear in advance, whether we will have games, or just eat and run, or what, but to complain after the fact is childish.  Not all of us wanted to watch or hear a ball game, but it was out of respect for thehost and  hostess that we talked around it.  Chalk it up to live and learn, everyone is different and has different expectations of what a Christmas party is.

             carol Akers
Talk to me about Thirty-One Purses and Gifts!  Great products!  www.mythirtyone.com/cakers

 Do you know a blind or visually impaired person?   Ask me how the National Federation of the Blind and The Parents of Blind Children of Ohio can help change attitudes about blindness! http://www.nfb.org/