[Capchapohio] October meeting

Shelbi Hindel shelbiah1 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 22:45:04 UTC 2016

I just want to remind people that our chapter meeting for October will be
this Saturday, October 1, 10:00 a.m. We will meet at the usual place, 2350
Indianola Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43202. Use the glass doors on Maynard
Avenue and go up the stairs inside the door. Drivers, beaware of the OSU
football game when parking.

Below are the minutes from the September meeting. We will be voting on
these.

Shelbi

Minutes

Capital Chapter

September 10, 2016

The meeting was called to order at 10:05 a.m. by President Shelbi Hindel

See below these minutes for a list of those present at the meeting.

Stephanie Claytor was not present but she did email a treasurer's report to
Shelbi which was given. The balance on hand is $450.65. Stephanie sent a
check to the state treasurer for $50.00. This was related to a contribution
for the national convention.

The minutes from the August meeting were approved.

Shelbi reported that there are two movies that have the topic of blindness
in them. The first is "My Blind Brother". Barbara Pierce has a small
speaking part in this movie. The second is called "Don't Breathe". There was
a good discussion about the media's portrayal of blindness. J.W. suggested
that we have a movie night a some point and watch one or both of these
movies.

J. W. reported on the OOD training that he participated in on August 30.
There were five members of our affiliate involved with this training, as
well as other contributors. Overall it was a good experience and now he
knows where improvement is needed.

Mike Leiterman gave a brief report on his leadership training seminar in
Baltimore. It was held over the Labor day weekend. These are not public
seminars so much of the information and experience is confidential. This
seminar is known as the Bungee seminar. Mike encouraged anyone who has an
opportunity to participate in one of these leadership seminars to do so.

The nominating committee was appointed by Shelbi. J. W. will chair the
committee again this year. He will be joined by Heather Leiterman and
Annette Lutz. They will hold a closed teleconference at their convenience.
Elections will be held at the November meeting. Members must be present to
vote and run. You are only able to vote if you are current in paying dues.

Mike L. moved that we support attendance at the upcoming board meeting by
assisting members with transportation and hotel rooms for one night. The
motion was seconded by J. W. It passed. You have to turn in receipts to
Shelbi in order to be reimbursed. The meeting will start at 10:00 a.m. on
Saturday, September 17. It is being held in Independence, Ohio, at the hotel
where our state convention will be held.

J. W. moved that for the state convention we assist members to attend in the
areas of registration, banquet, rooms for three nights, and transportation.
If you wish for assistance you need to notify Shelbi by October 9, 2016.
Rooms will be released on October 21.  Mike L. seconded the motion. It
passed.

We had a guest presenter. Tanya Rutner from the State Treasurer's office.
She presented the STABLE program. This allows people with disabilities to
save money without affecting their medical or social security benefits.
STABLE stands for State Treasurer for Achieving a Better Life Experience.
Tanya had handouts that were accessible in both print and Braille. There are
a few extra copies that she left with me. If anyone is interested in
obtaining one of these let me know. I'll attempt to get it to you.

Remember that on October 15 we will be having a table at the North Market.
This is White Cane Safety day. October is Meet the Blind Month.

Respectfully,

Shelbi Hindel

Attendance

Shelbi Hindel