[Capchapohio] Minutes August

Shelbi Hindel shelbiah1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 23:37:19 UTC 2017

Minutes

August 5, 2017

Capital Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio

            President Shelbi Hindel called the meeting to order shortly
after 10:00 a.m.

            There were twelve people present. These are listed at the bottom
of these minutes.

            Voting on the June 2017 minutes was postponed because  it had
been a while since anyone read them. It was suggested that Annette Lutz be
asked to circulate the June minutes to the list-serv again prior to the
September meeting.

            Stephanie Claytor was not present, therefore, we did not have a
treasurer's report. She did let me know that the balance in our checking
account is $613.34. Today there is not a report on the money being held for
the chapter by the state.

Dues for Michael Fricke were deposited, prior to this meeting.

            People were given an opportunity to report on the national
convention. Carol Akers said that 196 meat sticks were sold at the
convention. We have 147 remaining to sell. It is a variety of flavors. The
cost is $1 each. She was elected to the National Parents of Blind Children
board of directors.  Andrew is a national scholarship winner. He received
the Adrienne Nash scholarship. Andrew is a PhD candidate at The Ohio State
University. His goal is to teach at the college level or work with people
with disabilities in the non-profit sector. He said that as a scholarship
winner there is so much to do at the convention that it can be overwhelming
but enjoyable. Scholarship winners are also given money from Google and
Kurzweil. Andrew is lucky enough to have won door prizes, too.  Mike
Leiterman gave a brief description of just what the national convention is.
He really did not include personal views.  Alex Crawford reported on the
students division. There were three students from Ohio  The 2018 convention
will be in Florida, once again.

            Dustin Grandstaff moved that our next meeting be the second
Saturday of September instead of the first Saturday. The first Saturday is
in Labor day weekend. Mike L. seconded the motion. It passed.  Mike F. said
no. Shelbi will clear this with the church.

            Shelbi announced, in detail,  the opportunity to participate in
a train ride with the Cleveland chapter. Mike F. and family are going to do
this.

            The Gavel questionnaire was read, by Shelbi, so that all members
would know what is being asked for and thus participate in providing the
needed information. We will hold a conference call to work on the report on
September 20, 7:00 p.m. The call in number will be circulated at a later
time on the list-serv.

            BELL:  Although the BELL program in Ohio was held in June of
this year Heather gave us a report. Ten children attended. They were between
the ages of five and eleven. The children worked on Braille skills,
independent living skills, mobility skills, and in the evening they had some
lessons that were for both fun and learning. There was a field trip. Several
of our members were volunteers at the BELL program and some other donated to
the program. The pay for this program is not good but the rewards are great!
NFB-OH is in need of a place to store the BELL supplies. Currently they are
in the Alumni room at OSSB.

            Jim Debus moved that the chapter contribute money to assist our
members in attending BLAST which is a national seminar for merchants.
(Business Leadership and Superior Training) Heather Leiterman seconded the
motion. It passed.

            The meeting adjourned at 11:30 a. m.

Respectfully submitted,

Shelbi Hindel

            Paying dues at this meeting - Andrew Sydlik and Jim Debus.

Attending the meeting

Shelbi Hindel

Jim Debus

Dustin Grandstaff