[CapChapOhio] COTA Issues

Annette Lutz annettelutz at att.net
Thu Sep 12 14:16:50 UTC 2019

The Capital Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio and
Disability Rights Ohio are currently working together to deal with issues
that blind passengers are having with COTA, the Central Ohio Transit
Authority, both with their fixed route and Project Mainstream paratransit
service.  We have been investigating customer complaints processed by COTA
over the past three years, and reporting to DRO known issues that are
ongoing, and it has been determined that significant problems with the
provided service does exist, causing transportation concerns for the blind
in the Columbus area.  We are now looking at next steps to attempt to fix
the problem, and hopefully require COTA to improve their service.  What we
need from you is your testimony to document concerns that you may have and
problems that you have experienced with COTA.  We are especially interested
in times that COTA has been untimely or given improper service with Project
Mainstream, or have passed you by without identifying themselves or
announced stops on the fixed routes.  It is very important that we hear as
much as possible from you to document the problems that exist.  Please do
not think that it will not do any good, because it will.  The NFB and the
DRO are determined to help improve the situation, and we need to show how
bad the problem actually is.  So, if you have experienced any problems with
COTA, please contact Dave Perry at Disability Rights Ohio either by email at
dperry at disabilityrightsohio.org, or by phone at 614-264-2846 Ext. 186 via
voice mail.  We know how frustrating transportation problems can be, and we
are willing and able to do what we can to help, so please give us your
statements, and help us to become a partt of the solution.

Annette Lutz

President

Capital Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio