[CapChapOhio] September 2021 Meeting Minutes

Maggie Stringer ravensfan784 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 15:24:18 UTC 2021

Meeting Date: September 11th, 2021

Start time: 1:02 p.m.

End time: 2:57 p.m.

Attendees: Annette, Misty, Shelby, Suzanne, William Turner, Carol A., Macy
McClain, Jordy, and Maggie

Treasurer Report:

No formal treasurer report was given.

Annette shares that the treasurer report will be posted on the Capitol list
serve at a later time. Aside from the PAC plan, no other expenses were
taken out of our account. Our treasurer was not able to present due to the
recent passing of a parent.

Minutes:

Minutes posted by Maggie on the list serve.

No questions or additional comments on the Minutes

Motions:

Jordy made a motion to Accept the minutes as they were circulated

Maggie second the motion

Minutes passed by everyone

New Business: Ohio’s Agenda

Annette shares that the Columbus seminar, board meeting, and job seminar
has been cancelled. The board meeting has been moved to a virtual meeting
to be held on September 18th at 10am on the Ohio Zoom platform.
Cancellation is due to the ongoing pandemic and the riding numbers in
cases. Also, the convention has been changed to virtual, however, more
information will be discussed at the board meeting on the 19th. There is a
possibility of a virtual convention in November or moving the convention to
the spring for an in-person event. Annette wants the opinions of our
chapter members.

Jordy shares a thumbnail version of what to expect in having a second
virtual convention and wants the chapter to still facilitate a fun and
innovative way to host hospitality in a virtual setting.

Suzanne pays a compliment to our chapter; where we lack in size, we make up
in being a mighty force. She also emphasizes on the possibilities of still
putting together grab-bags and having them shipped to each registered
attendee. Also adds that we could include pandemic related items as well
as, our signature M&Ms; given that we are definitely switching to virtual.
She advises that we find creative ways to make it stand out in celebrating
75 years as an affiliate. She lastly, wants to go on record stating that
she strongly believes that we can host a very safe in-person convention, if
given the opportunity.

Jordy agrees that our gifts should be unique and recognize 75 years.
However, we believe that we need to analyze some of the challenges that
would come with shipping grab bags, such as numbers, deadlines, and etc.…
He offers one final idea of hosting a family feud event a week prior to
convention as we had discussed this past spring as a fundraiser. Annette
and Suzanne really like the idea of a game night as well and thought it
could be included in rookie roundup. We are putting a pin on the discussion
until we can have an emergency meeting after the board meeting.

New business: Legislative Updates

Annette shares that even though our Columbus seminar has been cancelled,
they are still working hard on getting our bills passed through.

Jordy says that we all need to be ready on a moment’s notice to write and
to give in-person testimony when that call comes through.

Jordy and Annette shares that the pandemic has changed with the
difficulties in being able to meet with and connect with our local
representatives. And that we need to continue to be creative and find ways
to get around the pandemic wall.

New Business: Radio Show

Annette shares the news of Jordy & Maggie being the next guests on the
Voice Core radio show. Jordy will talk about Centers for Independent Living
and Maggie will discuss the activities of our state’s Community Service
committee. She also shares that the radio crew are always up for new show
ideas and to let her know if people have any suggestions.

Jordy has an associate that could do a presentation on tactile graphics.

Suzanne has the idea of talking about blind parents going through the fear
of their kids being taken from them. Annette shared a personal experience
of having a social worker wanting her to demonstrate that she could take
care of her newborn baby.

Suzanne also gave the idea of a disabled person becoming a care giver and
how we have members that are taking care of their elderly parents.  William
offers follow up on how he has faced struggles with the different agencies
in being able to take care of his Mom.

New Business: Gavel Questionnaire for 2021

Annette, Shelby, Misty, Jordy, and Maggie fill in the questionnaire as a
chapter and as individual members.

New Business: Guest Speaker on Membership

William Turner is speaking on behalf of the membership committee. Wants us
to continue to do what we have been doing, inviting people and using our
resources such as the morning check in calls, happy hour, chapter meetings,
and social media.

News & Announcements:

Annette shares that the national headquarters will have its own broadcast
very soon and to be on the lookout. She shared that the national president
made the announcement during the last presidential release.

Jordy reminds the chapter that we had voted some time ago to listen to the
release individually and we should revisit the subject since there will be
a new version of those monthly releases each month. He further states that
it will be a condensed version in place of an entire hour.

Our next meeting will be on Saturday, October 9th at 1 o’clock.

Meeting closed.

Maggie Stringer
Phone: (443) 750-0070
Email: ravensfan784 at gmail.com
Community Service Facebook Page
<https://www.facebook.com/CommunityServiceDivision/>
NFB Website <http://www.nfb.org>
NFB Ohio Website <http://www.nfbohio.org>
“The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra."