[Cash-and-caring] Welcom, chapter fundraising idea, and Washington Seminar

rflores at nfbtx.org rflores at nfbtx.org
Mon Oct 15 08:24:53 UTC 2012

Folks,
Thanks for creating the list, I'm sure it'll be very useful.
I like the blindness test/quiz idea.  If it's a facebook mission, I'm
assuming the audience will be our friends on facebook, and their
subsiquential friends on facebook, since we'll probably ask folks to
re-post the opportunity on their Walls, and so forth.  The test/quiz needs
a neat catchy title, to spark interest in attempting to solve, or enter
into.  My initial thoughts on this  are:
"The Blind Know-It-All"
"Blindness Expert inquizission"
"Buying Blindness"
"The Blind Milionaire Questionare"
"So you think your a Federationist"
"The Blind Test"
"Testing Blindness"
"Cant-See Quiz"
I think some times NFB folks like to think they may know more federation
history then their colleagues.  I wonder who'd win between lets say-Dr.
Mauer/Mrs. Mauer, Jim Gashel, Jim Omvig, Mrs. Jernigan, Mr. Caps, or any
other long-standing federationist.  May be we can place bids on a
particular contestant, definitely have to pay to play... Perhaps we can
challenge each state to enter at least one entry, assuring cross-country
participation.  Each affiliate must support their blind-no-it-all. There
must exist, a tie-breaker of some sort, we can't have a whole bumch of
perfect scores.

A fundraiser I've been a part of that has made more than $5000 has been a
Bowl-a-Thon.  This involved reserving a bowling alley for 3-hours, to
allow 40-lanes to be sponsored by contributors to the cause, and having as
many blind folks bowl 2-games beneath signs recognizing said sponsor over
the lanes. Sponsors can also sponsor a team for $80, or a single
blind-bowler for $20.  All blind bowlers pay $5 to play 2-games.  We
usually made 6-10 thousand for the local Beep Baseball Team in-town,
they've been doing it for 20-years now.
10-things I did to help
1: Located sponsors for lanes-$175 for one-lane, $300 for 2-lanes.
2: Communicated with Bowling Alley for scheduling event dates, and key
updates
3: Worked on an event committee
4: solicited local vendors for door prizes for event
5: spread the word to blind bowlers
6: Created event flyer
7: distributed PR materials to public, friends, and family
8: contacted local media for coverage
9: Arranged for dignitaries to attend-Mayor, loacl radio DJ, and a local
minor league baseball player.
10: Attended the event with a nice group of friends.

Thanks,
Richie