[Cash-and-caring] Cycle for Independence

Ramona Walhof ramona.walhof at gmail.com
Tue May 21 15:19:14 UTC 2013

Last Saturday was our 14th Cycle for Independence held by the Treasure
Valley Chapter of the NFB of Idaho.  We are still just under 500 riders.
Clearly, we would love to cross that threshold.  But we did have a great day
and a great ride.  We are still learning about things that will make it
better.

This event started with about 30 riders, and we have learned by trial and
error, but we have learned.  Much of what we do can be done for a walking
event just as well.  One of the advantages of a walk is that it doesn't need
to cover as much territory.  We had to get permits from about five different
entities.  Also, you have less risk of accidents.  We had one again this
year.  Our riders sign wavers, and when there  has been  an accident, they
have always been very nice about it, but we hate it.

What is most remarkable is that literally hundreds of people thank us for
doing the event and tell us how well it is done.  That can do nothing but
good for the blind, even without the money. We are still waiting for the
final check from Active.com which should be a large one.  I don't have the
skill to figure it out from the WebSite, but the check will come in a couple
of days, and we can check it against our info.  I will let you know those
results when we get them.

As the rest of you have your events, please keep this committee informed.
Thank you.

Ramona