[Cash-and-caring] Ideas & Questions

Everett Gavel everett at everettgavel.com
Wed Dec 21 23:18:31 UTC 2016

Hi Janice, and All,

It's human nature, sadly. It's the 80/20 rule.
More often than not, you have the few that do most
of the work, as others 'support' it while doing as
little as they can, such as cheering, clapping,
voting for it, etc. maybe even attending it. But
to help setup, tear down, market, administrate,
and more? Nope, nein, nyet, nada, no way. When you
find a type-A personality, a go-getter, go get
'em!

As for ideas that work, I have a few questions on
ideas.

Anyone yet rented a dunk tank? Did you make or
lose money?

How about golfing events? In Northeast Ohio, some
organization, I think it was the local rehab
hospital maybe, has been having mid-winter golf
scrambles for years as a fundraiser. They use
orange balls in the white snow. It's talked about
and looked forward to by golfers in the region all
year long. It's just plain fun, as that's the way
they've marketed it.

Anyone ever done a car crusher sort of event? I
remember reading about one idea I've not yet
gotten around to trying. It could work especially
well I'd think, if you have a college campus
nearby to do it on or near. What you do is
purchase a car, a beater from a junkyard. You
probably will have to pop out the glass first, but
they could do that at the junkyard. I don't
remember all the safety regulations. But it's been
done, and likely will be done again. What you do
is have a tow truck or whomever, place the car on
some property you've worked it out with, and sell,
say, $5 chances to take 3 good swings at the
junker with a sledge hammer. Most people find
destruction more exciting than construction,
y'know? What I've read about this one in past
years, it's been successful and memorable when
done. I'd actually forgotten this one for the last
few years until just now. But I'm gonna do this
one, one day. You'd have to give work gloves and
goggles to any participant before they took
control of the sledgehammer, of course. It just
occurred to me that you could even offer small
cash prizes, like $20, to the first person to
knock off a bumper, or a door, or to pop open the
trunk. With that last one, you could even put
something not easily destroyable in the trunk, and
rather like a pinyata, whoever popped the trunk
would then win that prize? What would you call
that event? Well, something to do with Junk in
Your Trunk, of course.  :)

Lastly, in a similar vein, has anyone ever put on
a demolition derby? I don't know how feasible this
one would be. I've just always wanted to enter
one. Supposedly you don't need a license to drive
in one, you just need the car to enter, and to
sign the waiver I suppose. I've been told in both
Ohio and Colorado that no, you don't need a
license to enter one. Anyway, again, I don't know
how financially feasible this might be. But if you
get several blind people entering, it's an easy
gig for some positive PR.  :)

That being said, I guess you could just work it
out to get a few blind people to pay a few hundred
bucks each to get a car for each to enter, and
have fun with it. It could be someone else's
event, but you could get some PR pretty easily I'd
think.

Strive On!
Everett