[Central-md-chapter] Action Needed

brenda mueller brendin at smart2.net
Thu Sep 10 18:06:59 UTC 2015

Years ago I worked in and directed a university language lab. in
Pennsylvania.  My duties included setting up tapes for incoming
language students to use in the lab., updating the language lab.
collection, producing language tapes for those students who
wanted them, and tutoring students in all levels of Spanish,
German one through four, and French one and two.  I was working
under a Federal program, but I've forgotten what it was called.
Under me were several people who worked under Work Study.  Now,
here's the trick.  There was a little law that wasn't well
publicized.  This law had a cut-off built into it.  Yes, minimum
wage should be paid, however if the employee worked for under 38
hours a week, there was a clause that allowed the employer to pay
less.  Consequently, I was allowed to work only 37.5 hours a
week.  Now it wouldn't surprise me in the least if such a dirty
little cut-off law is used in Maryland.  It would allow our
proposed law to be passed, but business would go on as usual.  If
our law protected the blind and no one else from this cut-off,
then ask yourself this.  If you were an employer who knew about
this cut-off law, that makes hiring everyone else so much
cheaper, were our proposed law passed, why hire the blind at all?
We may need to do some more homework and get rid of that hidden
cut-off, before we pass our law.  If I'm correct that, that
cut-off still exists, then we could unintentionally be doing more
harm than good.  Of course, I want blind people to have jobs and
at least minimum wage, but I know one thing.  Government loves to
enforce laws for everyone else, but it has scores of lawyers to
enable it to find little known laws with loop holes and avoid
obeying the law itself.
There's my warning to consider; our proposed law will not resolve
the problem, if that cut-off exists; we have to get rid of the
cut-off.  As is, as you can clearly see, our law may create
another problem.

Brenda Mueller
Creek Chapter list, NFB of Maryland'"
<md-sligo at nfbnet.org>,<nationalharbor at nfbnet.org>,
<MD-atlarge at nfbnet.org>,"'Central Maryland Chapter List'"
<central-md-chapter at nfbnet.org>,<nfbmdtlc-chapter at nfbnet.org>,"'M
aryland Parents of Blind Children List'"
<mdpobc at nfbnet.org>,<mdabs at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 09:42:25 -0400
>Subject: [Central-md-chapter] Action Needed

>Hello All,

>Please read Hindley Williams' message below and take action.
Since you are
>getting this message  little late, please work on this today,
tomorrow, or
>Monday at the latest. Thanks in advance for your efforts. If you
get a
>response, send a note off list to jesse.hartle63 at gmail.com
><mailto:jesse.hartle63 at gmail.com> .

>Good Morning Fellow Federationists,

>As you may have heard, the TIME Act is gaining more traction than
ever  in
>Congress, but there is still much work to be done. As
Marylanders,  we can
>do our part to see that this bill becomes law by reaching out  to
our
>members of Congress and urging them to pass this bill.

>Throughout this week, I encourage you to send emails to the
members of
>Congress of Maryland -- one email to the member of the House of
>Representatives in the district that you live in, and two emails
to  the
>Senators. Below, I have listed the contact information for some
of  the
>staffers on the Hill, and two email templates for the House and
Senate if
<mailto:rsloan at nfb.org> .

>Here is the template for the House of Representatives:

>Dear (first name of the staffer you are contacting):

>My name is (your name), and I am writing to inform you about
issues  that
>are a concern to blind Marylanders. Currently, individuals with
>disabilities across the country are being paid subminimum wages,
which  is
>an antiquated practice that does not allow these individuals to
reach their
>full potential in the workplace. The Transitioning to  Integrated
and
>Meaningful Employment (TIME) Act responsibly phases out  section
14(c) of
>the Fair Labor Standards Act, the provision that  makes this
practice legal
>for Special Wage Certificate holders. I ask  that you please
share this
>information with (Member of Congress'

>name), because I am a constituent and this issue is important to
me.

>To cosponsor the TIME Act (HR 188) in the House of
Representatives,

>contact:

>Scot Malvaney, Policy Director, Congressman Gregg Harper (R-MS)

>Phone: (202) 225-5031, Email: Scot.Malvaney at mail.house.gov
><mailto:Scot.Malvaney at mail.house.gov> .

>If you have any questions, please feel free to direct them to me.

>Thank you for your time.

>Best Regards,

>(Your Name)

>Here is the template for the Senate:

>Dear (first name of the staffer you are contacting):

>My name is (your name), and I am writing to inform you about
issues  that
>are a concern to blind Marylanders. Currently, individuals with
>disabilities across the country are being paid subminimum wages,
which  is
>an antiquated practice that does not allow these individuals to
reach their
>full potential in the workplace. The Transitioning to  Integrated
and
>Meaningful Employment (TIME) Act responsibly phases out  section
14(c) of
>the Fair Labor Standards Act, the provision that  makes this
practice legal
>for Special Wage Certificate holders. I ask  that you please
share this
>information with (Senator's name), because  this issue is
important to me as
>a Maryland resident. To cosponsor the  TIME Act (S 2001) in the
Senate,

john.dutton at mail.house.gov
><mailto:john.dutton at mail.house.gov>   2. office of Ruppersberger,
Dutch: