[Cinci-nfb] Cincinnati Chapter Constitution

Eric Duffy peduffy63 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 19:09:28 UTC 2015

Thank you Sheri for providing the constitution to the member of your chapter. In fact, I am going to ask all chapters and divisions to review their respective constitutions during the year to come. We should modernize them and be sure that they are in an electronic file.

It is well that we should all know and understand what is contained in the constitutions of the organizations to which we belong.

, to say that we should uphold a constitution to the letter is not a practical way of governing. All constitutions are to some degree subject to interpretation.
Although the constitution of the United States has served us well for more than 200 years, laws passed by congress and or executive orders created by the president  are some times challenged on the basis of constitutionality. In those cases it is left to the courts to make determinations about whether or not the law in question should be upheld. When the constitution is not absolutely clear on a matter there are several things the courts must consider.

When I look at ART. IV Meetings in your chapter’s constitution I see the following language:
"Section 1—Regular meetings. This organization shall hold one (1) business meeting per month at a time and place to be determined by a majority vote of the membership. At least ten (10) members must be resent to constitute a quorum to transact business.”

I interpret that to mean that a majority of the chapter members present shall determine the day, location, and time of chapter meetings. This is so that members and those interested in becoming members shall no when and where meetings are held on a regular basis.

 If the chapter were to try to live by the “letter” of this article, there would have to be a meeting literally in every month of the year, including during extreme weather conditions, it would mean that you would have to conduct a meeting during December rather than holding a Christmas party as some chapters choose to do. We could stretch this much further should we choose to do so.

This article neither grants the president the authority to cancel a meeting nor prohibits him or her from doing so.

We cannot possibly foresee every circumstance that might arise when writing a constitution therefore we only try to build in those protections that are needed or required.

In addition to reading and understanding this constitution, iI encourage everyone to read and study the essay written by President Riccobono entitled making decisions, setting policy, and taking action, the governmental structure of the National Federation of the blind. This can be found in our book Building the lives we want.

I remind everyone that according  to the constitution of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio the president of  be affiliate is ex officio a member of each local chapter and division.
 Therefore, when I offer advice, it does not come from an outsider with no real interest in the chapter.

I hope we can  engage in meaningful discussions about ways to grow and build this chapter. That will not happen if we become embroiled in unnecessary and unproductive discussions on this list.

That is not my intent in replying to this message. However, I believe that it deserved a reply.