[Cinci-nfb] Free white cane

Deborah Kendrick dkkendrick at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 29 12:57:48 UTC 2015

All,
It came up last night that some members were not aware of the Free White
Cane program.

You can call NFB's national center at 410-659-9314 to request your cane.

Here is what the NFB web site has to say about the program:

We believe the long white cane is a means to independence.  The white cane
has proved a useful tool to millions of blind people in navigating their
environments with confidence and safety.  It is a tool which allows blind
people to travel where and when they want, and as such leads to
self-sufficiency.
 We believe that independence and freedom to travel are so important to the
quality of life of blind people that every blind person should have a cane,
regardless of ability to pay.
We are giving, free of charge to the user, rigid fiberglass canes.  Please
see the online application or download the paper application to view
available cane sizes.
Request a free white cane!
 Visit our online free white cane application form
<http://freecane.nfb.org/>  now or complete an accessible PDF application
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/free_white_cane_application.pdf>
online. Completed applications should be mailed to:
Free White Cane Program
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street
    at Jernigan Place
                                 Baltimore, MD 21230
Any blind individual in the fifty states, the District of Columbia and
Puerto Rico may request a cane for their personal use.  Requests may be made
as often as every six months.
Additional Information
*
*	questions regarding the Free Cane Program email us at
freecane at nfb.org <mailto:freecane at nfb.org?subject=Free%20Cane%20Program> .
*	Have a question for the staff here at NFB?  Use our Contact Us
<https://nfb.org/contact-us>  page.
*

Read more by going here:
https://nfb.org/free-cane-program