[Cinci-nfb] FW: Request for Nominating Committee

Alan Lemly walemly at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 01:58:07 UTC 2017

Since we're expressing our opinions here, I'll chime in with mine as I'm a dues-paying member of this chapter. With the chapter meeting just a little over two weeks away with a major holiday in-between and a President scheduled to travel the next few days, the time to do the nominating committee thing is getting very tight indeed. I'm a bit perplexed why those wanting a nominating committee seem to be implying that Deborah is trying to do an end around the rules especially since as I understand Roberts Rules of Order the president has unilateral authority to name those on the nominating committee. The fact that any nominations can be made from the floor of the election meeting would seem to allow fair representation to everyone unless you don't plan to be at the meeting or to have someone in attendance who could act as your agent.

My opinion is that this really isn't an issue worthy of causing disagreement or bad feelings especially since open nominations will be possible at the meeting. To that end, attend the meeting, nominate yourself as president if you want to ensure that a nominating committee is used going forward for elections, and then get elected to president so that you can do just that.

Alan Lemly