[Colorado-talk] 2010 State Convention of the National Federation of the Blind of Colorado

Scott C. LaBarre slabarre at labarrelaw.com
Wed Aug 11 16:13:30 UTC 2010

Greetings Friends, below you will find an announcement regarding our 2010 NFB Colorado State Convention.  It is also attached in Word Format.  Start making your plans now to join us in Boulder, Colorado for a wonderful Haloween bash!

Scott LaBarre, President
NFB Colorado
************************
Boo!

It's coming!

Halloween weekend!

Save the date, and pass this important announcement along to everyone!

Ghosts, goblins, witches, warlocks, and mere mortals; people of all ages who are blind, visually impaired/low-vision, families and everyone who work in the fields of rehabilitation and education of the blind are cordially invited to be a part of the State Convention Event of the year!

The National Federation of the Blind-Colorado State Convention, symposia and Masquerade Ball is being held Thursday afternoon, October 28th, through Sunday morning, October 31st! It will be held at the Boulder Millennium Harvest House Hotel at 1345 Twenty-Eighth Street in beautiful Boulder, CO! Room rates for this First-class hotel are an unbelievably low $84 per night.

We do not believe blindness is scary, so come and catch our spirit of opportunity and optimism! The Convention Planning Committee is in full swing and we want your ideas and involvement! You can be a part of unmasking a new reality for those who are blind or have low-vision, regardless of age or life circumstance.

Thursday, our Boulder NFB chapter is planning some welcoming activities; details coming soon.

Thursday evening, we plan our leadership activity. National Federation of the Blind: Family, Culture, Community and Commitment. It's an old-fashioned Halloween bonfire. Attendance limited to the first 80 who register for this special leadership experience! Cost is $25 and reservations for this event will be handled separately from regular convention registration; details coming soon.

Friday and Saturday will be jam-packed, so join in the fun, fellowship and discovery! Learn about career opportunities for the blind. Share your stories and learn from others. Hear presentations from successful blind role-models, public officials, and members of the Colorado Commission for Individuals who are Blind and Visually Impaired. Hear from officials of the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation and the Colorado Talking Book Library. Learn from and exchange ideas with educators of blind students. Browse new access technologies at the exhibit hall.

The State Convention is certainly one of the high points of the year for the blind of Colorado. This year, we are honored to welcome Dr. Mark Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind; Baltimore, Maryland who will give our Banquet address Saturday evening.

At the convention, you can also join low-vision seniors to learn from the experts about building lives of quality after vision loss. There will be special sessions for the blind who have additional disabilities, caregivers, counselors and family members.

Can blind students learn science, technology, engineering and math? Come find out! We invite all blind youth and their teachers to our mind-opening, hands-on interactive learning experiences. You may not believe what you can learn and how much fun you can have.

Parents and grandparents, participate in a lively, inspiring parent's forum. Learn what your little monsters can truly grow up to be. You will learn from successful, employed, engaged, civic-minded blind citizens.

The Convention will also be full of engaging and exciting social events, like a monster fundraising auction!  The high point of the weekend will be our Annual Banquet, where we will hear Dr. Maurer's inspiring keynote address, followed by our downright spooky, first ever NFBCO Costume Contest!  That's right!  Come

to the banquet in your Halloween best and see if the judges think you are the spookiest.

There is definitely room for you at our annual State Convention. The Millennium Harvest House Hotel is nestled in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains with spectacular views of the Boulder Creek Path, hotel gardens and the Rocky Mountains. With not only dining, but a wide array of outdoor and indoor activities, the Millennium Harvest House Hotel also boasts a cigar bar, fitness center, sports bar, and high speed internet connectivity. The Millennium Harvest House Hotel

is adjacent to the University of Colorado, the 29th Street retail district and just minutes from downtown Boulder and the Historic Pearl Street Mall. F

For hotel room Reservations you may use one of the following methods:

On-Line:  The following link will enable you to make reservations via the internet: https://gc.synxis.com/rez.aspx?Hotel=11538&Chain=5303&Dest=USA&Iocale=en- US&arrive=12/10/2009&depart=12/11/2009&adult=1&child=0&Group=1010BLINDC; or you can go to the hotel

Website:  http://www.millenniumhotels.com/boulder (enter the group code 1010BLINDC where prompted)

E-Mail:  You may e-mail your reservation request to:

millboulderres at mill-usa.com

Telephone:  You may call the hotel toll free at (800) 545-6285

The room block will be available for booking until Tuesday, September 28, 2010.

In order to receive the low room rates, and to take advantage of all Convention activities, you will need to register for the Convention. We will begin taking Convention registrations by phone or online Tuesday, September 6th through Friday, October 15th. This Convention may be a little spooky, but it is sure to be fun, informative and very inspiring. For registration information, contact Lisa Bonderson at 303-504-5979.  We estimate that total registration and meal costs will be $70.00 in advance but stay tuned for final pricing.  Convention scholarships will be made available and please also stay tuned for more details on how to apply for this assistance.  For more information about Convention activities, Convention sponsorships, exhibits and to provide ideas, contact Kevan Worley, Convention Chair Person at 719-527-0488 or by email at kevanworley at worleyenterprises.com.

Don't be scared! See you there!