[Colorado-talk] PUC hearing on RTD light rail

Brent bbatron at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 02:21:16 UTC 2011

Please read the below press release!

Then please join us at 1560 Broadway suite 250.  This is the PUC building
(formerly the Denver Post Building)

The hearing will start at 4pm.

Safety is of the utmost importance and we need to send a message to the PUC
and RTD that audible warnings are necessary to ensure the safety of all
pedestrians where light rail trains move through intersections where
pedestrians will also be crossing.

If you have questions please contact me at 303-778-1130 x222 or via email
bbatron at cocenter.org

Brent Batron, President

National Federation of the Blind of Denver

NEWS RELEASE

News Release Contact:

Terry Bote, 303-894-2827

PUC TO TAKE PUBLIC COMMENT ON RTD'S PLAN TO BUILD LIGHT RAIL CROSSINGS
WITHOUT AUDIBLE WARNINGS

DENVER - The Colorado Public Utilities Commission (PUC) will take public
comment on Thursday, Feb. 17, on plans by the Regional Transportation
District (RTD) to construct "quiet" crossings along its new West Corridor
light rail route. The public hearing will begin at 4 p.m. at the PUC, 1560
Broadway, Suite 250.

RTD is seeking authority to construct 11 at-grade crossings along its West
Corridor route in Lakewood and Denver. RTD is requesting that it be allowed
to operate these 11 crossings without auditory warning sounds from the train
or the crossing signal.

The PUC, which holds primary jurisdiction over all public highway-rail
crossings in Colorado, in December granted RTD authority to construct the
light rail tracks through the crossings. But it referred the quiet crossing
issue to an administrative law judge for hearing due to safety concerns.

Given the proximity of the proposed crossings to residential neighborhoods
and at least one school, the administrative law judge determined that it was
appropriate to take public comment on the quiet crossing proposal.

The judge also will examine the proposed timing operations of the
four-quadrant gates at the crossings and the impact of the gates on the
streets running adjacent and parallel to the crossings.

_________

DORA is dedicated to preserving the integrity of the marketplace and is
committed to promoting a fair and competitive business environment in
Colorado.  Consumer protection is our mission.