[Colorado-talk] Colorado Gives Day and the Colorado Center for the Blind

Jennifer Stevens jstevens at cocenter.org
Mon Dec 3 13:21:41 UTC 2012

We have been working with Community First on their web site and they
are trying to make changes but it looks like they will not have them
done by the 4th.  So please give us a call at the Center (303)
778-1130 on Tuesday and we will assist.  Thank you all for your
generousity.

On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Arielle Silverman <arielle71 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Lorinda and all,
> I am attempting to make a donation to the CCB using the link provided,
> but I am running into an accessibility issue. JAWS does not seem to
> recognize the "add to cart" button, and after I enter my donation
> amount on the first page, clicking "add to cart" just bounces me up to
> the top of the page without moving me forward. Have others experienced
> this problem? Is there another way I can set up a donation and still
> help the incentive from First Bank?
> Thanks,
> Arielle
>
> On 11/30/12, Lorinda Riddle <lriddle at cocenter.org> wrote:
>> November 26, 2012
>>

>> Dear Alumni, Family and Friends of the Colorado Center for the Blind:
>>

>> On Tuesday, December 4th the Colorado Center for the Blind is participating
>> in Colorado Gives Day.  This giving campaign boosts charitable giving to
>> non-profit organizations like the Center.  FirstBank has put together an
>> incentive gift, and depending on how much money the Colorado Center raises,
>> the Center will receive a percentage of that incentive gift along with 100%
>> of your giving.  Last year I am pleased to say that we raised over $10,000.
>> To assist us by donating, please follow the link on our website at
>> www.givingfirst.org/index.php?section=organizations&action=newDonation&fwID=15595.
>>

>> I want to thank you for all of your support in the past year. As a result
>> of your assistance, we have made a number of accomplishments:
>>

>> *Year Round Youth Services*
>>
>> We now have an active year round youth services program. Last week over 10
>> high school students who are blind learned how to independently dissect a
>> shark. Often blind students do not have the opportunity to fully
>> participate in science, math, woodshop and vocational programs as a part of
>> their high school program. We are working hard to change this. Last summer
>> nine blind kids ages 5 to 10 participated in our Confidence Camp for Kids.
>> This two week skills training and confidence building program got the kids
>> using their canes, traveling around the city, cooking, cleaning and
>> learning that they are not the only blind student. They loved going through
>> a buffet line with our blind adults and realized that they can be
>> independent and have jobs when they grow up. Their parents gained a great
>> deal as well because they got to see and to learn from independent blind
>> adults. Too often, parents of blind kids do not have this opportunity and,
>> thus, they do not realize that their kids can be self-sufficient.
>>

>> *McGeorge Mountain Terrace Apartments*
>>
>> A year ago we were able to purchase an apartment complex. With this new
>> acquisition we have the ability to provide more services. One of our
>> students has a small child. Since we own these apartments we were able to
>> accommodate her with her child so that she could get the training that she
>> needs to flourish and to be a positive role model for her son. Our students
> [...]

P.S. Please keep in mind I am currently working part time and may not
be able to respond right away.  If you need immediate assistance
please contact (303) 778-1130.

Jennifer Stevens
Colorado Center for the Blind
2233 W. Shepperd Ave.