[Colorado-talk] Why are YOU a Federationist?

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 02:19:27 UTC 2012

Hi all,
I want to share my Federation story even though it will probably be
way too long to put into a brochure, because I think my situation is a
little unusual and my story might resonate with people who might
otherwise feel they wouldn't gain anything new from being part of the
NFB.
I first learned about the NFB when I was reading Kernel books in high
school. It seemed like most or all of the Federationists writing these
stories had either grown up with partial vision or become blind later
in life and gone through an adjustment process. I have been totally
blind since birth and so for me, "hiding" my blindness was never an
option and I never really had the chance to regret or feel bad about
being blind since that was all I had known. I was successful in
school, knew I would go to college and do whatever career I wanted
when I grew up, and loved hanging out with other blind people (I had
several blind friends). So I didn't feel like I "needed" the NFB the
way the Kernel story writers did.
I first decided to get involved because I thought it was fun to
socialize with blind students around the country and learn about how
they handled college. Eventually I went to a national convention and
was inspired by the organization's zeal to address indignities against
the blind--even something as seemingly trivial as being denied the
chance to ride amusement park rides. After I won a national
scholarship nine years ago and got talked into starting a student
division in Arizona, I became consistently active and my journey
really began.
So what have I gained from being part of the organization? First, I
learned that I didn't know everything about blindness or how blind
people got things done. I was competent in school but I wasn't a good
traveler. I didn't know many blind adults and the few I did know all
had guide dogs, so I had no idea how a blind person could get around
in an unfamiliar environment with a cane. I only knew how to travel in
very familiar, restricted areas. And I figured that blind people could
cook and clean and take care of their homes, but I didn't know much
about how that was accomplished. The practical knowledge I got by
talking with NFB members and going to the Louisiana Center for the
Blind (sorry CCB!), by itself, made a huge difference in giving me the
independence that I enjoy today. I do believe that had I not gone to
an NFB center, I probably would have stayed in Arizona for grad school
because I would have thought that learning a new city would be too
difficult for me as a blind person.
Second, throughout my teen years I was very insecure about where I
belonged in the sighted world. I grew up around lots of folks who were
always telling me how smart and wonderful and amazing I was, but who
often didn't include me in normal social activities. I began to feel
that most sighted people thought they were superior to me because of
their sight, and that I didn't belong in their world. My parents,
though well-intentioned, did not really know what level of
independence the blind are capable of achieving. They would tell me
that I needed to accept the "limitations" of my blindness and also
accept the kindness of those who were trying to "help" me instead of
asserting my independence. I grew to resent being forced to adopt an
inferior, dependent role in society, and so I eventually came to
believe that the only people I could trust to give me full dignity and
respect were other blind people. I was fortunate to have several close
friends who were blind, but it is tough to go through life distrusting
virtually all of your classmates, colleagues and acquaintances.
Ironically, I think that being immersed in the NFB community was what
helped me to let go of this resentment and open up to sighted folks.
Through the NFB I learned that I had the power to develop my own
understanding of blindness instead of accepting the sighted world's
understandings. With this empowerment, I was less bothered by the
indignities we all experience, and I eventually discovered that many
sighted people are willing to treat us with full dignity and respect.
I am still a Federationist today because I want to keep learning from
other successful blind people and to pass on what I have already
learned to our newer members. I am also here because I have become
aware of the collective problems that we still face with
discrimination, marginalization and inaccessibility. Because of the
NFB, I have decided to devote my career to investigating solutions to
these problems through psychological research. I have learned that
these problems are complex and will need to be attacked on multiple
levels. As long as there is blindness, I believe there will always be
a need for an organization to collectively fight for the full dignity
and respect we all deserve.
In sum, there are many blind folks out there who believe they don't
"need" to join an organization. While I respect anyone's right to
choose whether or not to join an organization or which one to join, I
also believe that any one of us can benefit in some way by joining the
NFB. There is always something new all of us can learn about
blindness, and there is always something that each one of us can
contribute to the movement. And we can all benefit from the support we
get from being part of a community of blind people who all have a
common goal of creating respectability for the blind. Plus, it's fun!
Best,
Arielle