[Colorado-talk] Why are YOU a Federationist?

Everett Gavel everett at everettgavel.com
Tue Jun 5 23:13:00 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I'm sharing my answer to Ms. Beecham's question on the
list, to also serve as somewhat of an intro since I'm
brand new to the NFB of Colorado, and this list. My
name is Everett. I've been with the NFB of Ohio for the
last 14 years. As I write this I am back in Ohio after
spending 5 weeks in the Springs with my fiancee, Lisa
Felix (& her girls). I'm moving out there officially,
fully and all-in, on June 19th, in just a couple of
weeks. So I'll see you all at convention. ;-)

I am a member of the NFB because the NFB gave me
knowledge, confidence, & inspiration. By way of not
only talking about the truths of blindness, but because
I found its members living it out daily -- rather than
giving into and living out the stereotypes. Also,
ultimately, NFB leaders were there for me when I went
blind. The state agency for the blind told me nothing
about what was out there for blind people. They simply
let me be a couch potato for the 1st year of my
blindness, waiting for my eyes to stabilize so they
could send me through their state rehab center for the
blind. While there I found out through other students
about the NFB & ACB, but the teachers policy was to say
nothing either for or against either organization. They
could only suggest I find out on my own. After
returning home to my community 4 months later, I began
inquiring and researching. I noticed that ACB leaders
were students at my local center for the blind, as was
I. I found that the NFB leaders were the teachers at
the center, and at other organizations for the blind
such as the regional state library for the blind
nearby. I've been reading Zig Ziglar, Brian Tracy, &
other self-help motivators since I was 14. I know that
if you want more out of life, you should begin hanging
around with and learning from those who are where you
want to be, not just those who are where you currently
are. So, naturally, my role models ended up being
people in the NFB. People who had successfully overcome
the barriers often presented thrugh blindness in a
sighted world. Ultimately, the NFB through some caring
and professional members helped me gain a better, truer
perspective, search out & receive better training, gain
a new set of goals and dreams for my life, and gave me
the knowledge, confidence, and inspiration to strive on
towards those goals and dreams.

Too much for a brochure, but there you go. I'm glad to
be here and be a part of the NFBCO. I look forward to
meeting and working with you all as time goes by.

Blessings to You!
Everett
New Member, NFB of Colorado Springs
everett at everettgavel.com