[Colorado-talk] legislative advocacy training academy

Jessica Beecham jbeecham at cocenter.org
Wed Nov 14 17:06:20 UTC 2012

*Where*
Fire Station 11
2291 S. Joliet Street
Aurora, CO 80014

Have you ever said, "There should be a law to address that?" Or perhaps you
have wondered how to contact an elected official about an important concern.
Then this no cost Legislative Advocacy Training Academy is an important
opportunity for you to learn how to make these kinds of things happen.

The Academy will be facilitated by Andi Leopoldus of AKL, Inc. Andi has 25
years of experience working with nonprofit organizations in direct lobbying
and training individuals to feel confident when they testify on legislation
of interest.

Each module will have a learning objective. Monthly session will be from 60
to 90 minutes. Participants will receive a certificate of participation for
each module. Participants must register by November 15, 2012. Please try to
attend ALL sessions. Once registered, participants will receive materials
and more information including Academy location for later dates.

*November 27, 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM*: Now that the elections are over: Who are
our legislators? How to contact them? What happens next? Who are our new
leaders in our State House and Senate? Budget briefings and hearings

*December 10, 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM*: The State Budget: What hearings happen
before the legislative session starts? Why should I care?

*January -- Date TBD*: Testifying practicum to be held at the Capitol: This
is a field trip to the Capitol where attendees will tour, meet with
legislators and participate in a mock committee hearing.

*February -- Date TBD*: What are the issues of interest? How to identify
those interests in bills? How to testify?

*March -- Date TBD*: The State budget: figure setting at the Joint Budget
Committee. So, what does this mean to me or my family member with
disabilities?

*April -- Date TBD*: Eyes on the prize: what bills have survived, what bills
are still being introduced, what bills have died?

*May - Date TBD*: Wrap up of the session: what happens now?

*June - Date TBD*: Rules, interim committees, how to meet with legislators

*July - Date TBD*: Preparing for next session and meeting with legislators

*August - Date TBD*: Interim committee recommendations

*September - Date TBD*: Who writes legislation? How to get a sponsor for a
bill?

*October - Date TBD*: Time to get ready for the 2014 Legislative session!

Please click on the link below to register or RSVP.
Now!<http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?llr=4ogjbvcab&o
eidk=a07e6msqlyn373b6215&oseq=a021fjh402rdjn>

=a07e6msqlyn373b6215&oseq=a021fjh402rdjn>
 "I can't make it"

<http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/decline?llr=4ogjbvcab&oeid

If you have any questions regarding registration or the event please feel
free to contact Dicia Kemp at dkarcaurora at aol.com or call 720-213-1423.

*Sincerely,*

Dicia Kemp
The Arc of Aurora
Jessica Beecham
Chapter and Community Development Coordinator
National Federation of the Blind of Colorado
2233 West Shepperd Ave.
Littleton, CO 80210
jbeecham at cocenter.org