[Colorado-talk] FW: [State-affiliate-leadership-list] FW: [tvi-discuss] Video: Stevie Wonder appeals for finalization of books for blind treaty

Scott C. LaBarre slabarre at labarrelaw.com
Sat Jun 22 06:23:10 UTC 2013

fyi

From: State-affiliate-leadership-list
[mailto:state-affiliate-leadership-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of
Scott C. LaBarre
Sent: Saturday, June 22, 2013 12:22 AM
To: State Affiliate Leadership List
Subject: [State-affiliate-leadership-list] FW: [tvi-discuss] Video: Stevie
Wonder appeals for finalization of books for blind treaty

Greetings my Federation friends:

I wanted to give you a quick update from here in Marrakech, Morocco where we
are negotiating a treaty for the blind and print disabled that would allow
exceptions and limitations to copyright law throughout the world to produce
accessible format copies of published materials and allow nations to
exchange these accessible formts across international borders.  Some in the
U.S., and yes some even in our own organization, have asked why the
Federation has spent so much time and effort attempting to secure a strong
treaty.  The reason is that even though we have a good law here in the U.S.,
the Chafee Amendment, we still only have access to something less than five
percent of published works in the U.S.  Throughout the world, that figure
falls below one percent.  Additionally, those of us in the United States
cannot get access to accessible format copies of books in other English
speaking countries and foreign language collections in countries that don't
speak English.  I recall very vividly how I was not able to pursue a double
major in Spanish because of the great problem I had attempting to get
accessible Spanish novels and other materials.  So, if this treaty is
adopted, it will open up a great deal more  information to all of us and
promote greater production of accessible books and published works.

This is a historic opportunity for us.  It is the first time that any
international treaty has addressed the specific needs of the blind.  Through
this process, we are literally educating the world about the real problems
we face and how lack of access to information keeps us in second class
status.

Any way, the Diplomatic Conference started officially on Tuesday, the 18th
of June.  Thus far, there is no consensus on any language and there are many
issues being hotly debated and contested.  This has to be concluded by the
28th and if there is no consensus by that time, this diplomatic conference
will fail and we will have to go back to the drawing board, a process that
could take many, several more years.  A great deal is hanging in the
balanace at the moment and please stay tuned for urgent calls to action to
help push the U.S. government to negotiate appropriately.  We will know more
later today about exactly what we need to do.  Stay tuned for updates from
Fred Schroeder or me as this process goes into the home stretch.

Finally, I have concluded this update with a link to a message from Stevie
Wonder.  We and BookShare urged Stevie to get involved because these
international delegates hold Stevie Wonder in extremely high regard.  He
spoke to this U.N. body in 2010 to urge that the treaty be adopted.  We hope
that he will be able to come here to Marrakech to help celebrate a
successful conclusion.

Best to all for a great weekend!