[Colorado-talk] Introduction, and few questions

Everett Gavel everett at everettgavel.com
Sat Mar 16 23:13:02 UTC 2013

Hello & Welcome to both Terri and Johnnie Jean!

It's good to have new members speaking up on the
list. My name is Everett. I moved here to Colorado
Springs last summer, from Ohio.

Terri, as far as Canon City goes, here are a few
resources that might offer some help:

There are some interesting links about Canon City
when you search the following phrase on Google:
"Canon City, CO" (with the quotes)
(www.google.com/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=%22Canon+City%2C+CO%22&oq=%22Canon+City%2C+CO%22&gs_l=hp.3..0l4.4890.4890.0.7531.1.1.0.0.0.0.219.219.2-1.1.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.6.psy-ab.z1yBoAyo69w&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.43828540,d.aWc&fp=72683ac87027b8b2&biw=1024&bih=659)

Also, in case you don't already have it, your
local paper's link might offer some help with
finding answers:
www.CanonCityDailyRecord.com

It's probably not such a bad thing having the
Royal Gorge in your town, huh? When I looked into
whitewater rafting for this summer, I believe
Royal Gorge was mentioned in the mix.

Here are a couple of sites listing your town's
offerings...

Things to do in Canon City: Check out 9 Canon City
Attractions ...
Royal Gorge Bridge and Park. Ranked #3 of 9
attractions in Canon City.
www.tripadvisor.com

Things to do in Canon City with kids -- on
FAMILYdaysOUT.com
www.familydaysout.com/kids-things-to-do-usa/canon%20city
30+ items - Fun things to do in Canon City for
kids

Now, here are a couple of resources for help in
finding work...

Colorado Workforce Center
3224-B Independence Road
Canon City, CO 81212
Phone 719-275-7408
Hours: Monday to Thrusday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm;
Friday 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
http://www.connectingcolorado.com/
Email: canoncity at cwfc.net

Colorado Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
(DVR)
172 Justice Center Road
Canon City, CO 81212
www.dvrcolorado.com
How to apply for vocational rehabilitation
services:
call 719-544-1406 the Pueblo office schedules all
appointments for the Canon City area.
Tell the person who answers:
I want to apply for vocational rehabilitation
services
I live in (name of town you live in) Fremont or
Custer County
Give your mailing address, telephone number,
e-mail if you have one
Please inform the phone operator as whether or not
you receive or have applied for social security
disability benefits.
You will receive an application packet and an
appointment time to meet with Peg Mangan in the
mail.

Now, Terri, or anyone else, you ask about
"opportunities for the blind." Opportunities are
always there. Most people, blind or sighted, don't
grab hold of the few they recognize, quite
honestly. Here are a few great quotes I try to
keep in mind, to stay rightly focused:

"Opportunity is missed by most people,
because it is dressed in overalls, and looks like
work."
  -- Thomas Edison

"Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work,
so most people don't recognize them."
  -- Ann Landers, columnist

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every
opportunity;
an optimist sees the opportunity in every
difficulty."
  -- Sir Winston Churchill

That being said, do you know yet whether you
actually want a job, a career, or your own
business? They offer 3 distinct paths, depending
on what it is you actually think (or know without
a doubt) you want.

If you want a job, beyond using that workforce
resource above, my suggestion would be to start
looking through the Craigslist listings for Canon
City or the region. The city-section for Pueblo
might be your closest (but there are also other
areas listed on the left side of the main page,
here: http://pueblo.craigslist.org/

If you want a career, there are multiple choices
to achieve such a thing. Colleges, online or off.
After 17 years of making excuses, I just began
attending college again myself. Anyway, that's
always an option. DVR can help pay for that. DVR
can also help put you through a Colorado program
to become a vendor, with your own food stand or
deli or whatever, in a Government building in your
city or perhaps elsewhere in Colorado. I'm not the
one to ask for more details on that option, but
it's definitely a viable option. Kevan Worley
would probably be the best one to talk to about
those possibilities. Last I checked, he could be
reached at this address:
kevanworley at blindmerchants.org

Now, if you dream of having your own business of
some kind, having a store location in town selling
some product or service, online or off, there are
a few resources that can help give answers and
inspiration:

The National Association of Blind Entrepreneurs
(NABE) E-mail List, titled, "nabentre," can be
found on the page containing probably a hundred or
more blindness-specific lists now, on the "Drop or
Add" page, here:
www.nfbnet.org

Also on that page containing the list of lists,
there is a discussion list called, "eBay-talk."
That can offer help with selling online.

Anyway, that's a start. Hope some of this helps,
somehow.

Again, "welcome" to both of you. Great to hear
from you.

Strive On!
Everett
In Colorado Springs, CO