[Colorado-talk] CCB Fund-raising Event!

Dan Burke burke.dall at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 16:53:51 UTC 2014

Two days before Mosaic: An Evening of Art, Cuisine and Entertainment
at the Colorado Center for the Blind.  Here's a bit from our program
about one of the programs we're highlighting Friday night.  And don't
forget the great food and Cafe Americana!

Woodshop and Home Maintenance
>From hand tools to power tools, we have them all and not one of them
is adapted in any way for our students.  In fact, the only adaptation
we use in our shop is a tactile measuring device known as the click
rule.  Thus, our students learn the basics of tool use and simple home
maintenance such as safely clearing stopped plumbing - even changing a
car tire.  Then they move on to a full-scale shop project, measuring
cutting, drilling, planning, sanding gluing, screwing and finishing a
cutting board, spice shelf... A recent graduate turned two wooden
candlesticks on our lathe!

Our instructor Chris Kinney is sighted, but frequently dons
sleepshades to help him figure out how to teach nonvisual techniques
to his students.  Does he find teaching blind students a challenge?
Hey, he started his teaching career with middle schoolers.

http://coloradocenterfortheblind.org/calendar/?cid=allmc_id=53