[Colorado-talk] Help please

James Beal bealcorgi at aol.com
Tue Jul 21 23:30:32 UTC 2015

 Ann, for someone so young you demonstrate more wisdom than many people twice your age. First make it clear to Center staff of your interest. How you proceed from there will depend upon their instructions. Keep them informed as to your progress and work with them in whatever way they need to guide you through the process of obtaining funding.
?
What you do after this will depend upon where you l\live. if you haven't done so already, register with whatever agency in your community or state provides vocational rehabilitation services to blind and visually impaired adults. They are sometimes reluctant to register teenagers but with your parents' knowledge and consent, set up a file with them. As part of this process once you are determined to be eligible for services vased upon visual disability, you will be asked to develop an Individualized Plan for Employmjent (IPE). Center staff can help you determine what to request in this plan. ?Also, depending upon where you l9ve, Federation representatives can help you lobby local and state funding resources to come up with the needed funds. Many of us have experience dealing with state and local rehab agencies and can help you and your family work through the process. Be sure to keep your parents in the loop at all stages of this process. Family is probably the best source of reinforcement and the closest source of help you have in a situation like this.Depending upon the Teacher of the Visually Impaired you are working with, you may also get some help and support from h9im or her. I have one lady i work with very closely in southeastern Colorado who is a real fighter when it comes to obtaining services for her students. Your TVI is a secondary source of support. Again, refer back to Center staff and family for primary support.

I hope this helps. Please keep me up to date as to your progress in securing funding for entering the Center. Your situation is pretty common, more than you know. If by chance you live in the southeastern region of Colorado, i might be able to assist you to a greater extent than this post.

James Beal
bealcorgi at aol.com