[Colorado-talk] FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Applauds Senator Michael Bennett: Senator Supports Legislation to Integrate Workers with Disabilities

Scott C. LaBarre slabarre at labarrelaw.com
Tue Sep 22 21:49:13 UTC 2015

Thanks largely to the work of Kevan Worley, Senator Bennet is now on record
as opposing subminimum wages for workers with disabilities.  Please call his
office at 303-455-7600 or 202 224-5852 and tell him that you are a member of
the NFB and you thank him for signing onto S. 2001, the TIME Act.  Please
read the press release below.

Best,

Scott

Behalf Of Danielsen, Chris via Nfbnet-members-list
Senator Michael Bennett: Senator Supports Legislation to Integrate Workers
with Disabilities

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
cdanielsen at nfb.org <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>

National Federation of the Blind Applauds Senator Michael Bennett

Senator Supports Legislation to Integrate Workers with Disabilities

Baltimore, Maryland (September 22, 2015): The National Federation of the
Blind <http://www.nfb.org>  applauds Senator Michael Bennett (D-CO) for
cosponsoring the Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful Employment
(TIME) Act (S. 2001). Senator Kelly Ayotte (R-NH) introduced this
legislation
<https://nfb.org/national-federation-blind-applauds-introduction-legislation
-integrate-workers-disabilities>  to repeal Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor
Standards Act, in order to incentivize the transitioning of workers with
disabilities into integrated, meaningful employment, and to phase out the
discriminatory practice of paying workers with disabilities as little as
pennies per hour. Senator Bennett is the first cosponsor of Senator Ayotte's
legislation. Companion legislation has also been introduced in the House of
Representatives by Representative Gregg Harper (R-MS) as H.R. 188 and has
forty-four cosponsors.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind
<http://www.facebook.com/NationalFederationoftheBlind> , said: "The National
Federation of the Blind and our partners representing the fifty-five million
Americans with disabilities know that low expectations, not disability, are
the true barriers that prevent people with disabilities from living the
lives we want. We applaud Senator Bennett for joining his colleague from
across the aisle in recognizing that current segregated employment practices
are based on over seventy-five years of entrenched but false thinking about
the capacity of people with disabilities. We strongly urge his colleagues in
both houses of the United States Congress to work in the same bipartisan
spirit and support this legislation, thereby embracing a future in which the
next generation of workers with disabilities, including my two young
daughters, enter the workforce without the discriminatory presumptions that
exist today, and in which these workers are able to achieve their full
potential in the workplace and beyond."

###

blindness is not what holds you back.