[Colorado-talk] Forming a blind parents group or division in Colorado

Nate Trela ntrela at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 16:54:35 UTC 2016

For many of us, living the life we want means raising a family, and we
know our blindness is a characteristic that shapes how we do some
things as parents, but it doesn't define us or limit us. It certainly
doesn't prevent us from raising happy, bright and active children.

But we know that to some people - maybe teachers, social workers,
neighbors or even our own families - how we do it all can be hard to
understand. And maybe sometimes we even wonder if there is a better
way to do things like keeping track of a child at a playground,
lugging a car seat around just in case you might want to take an Uber
later, getting the kids too soccer practice or working through their
algebra homework.

So some members of the NFB – including myself - are working to launch
a group or division in the state for blind parents, a place where we
can share our successes and challenges, talk shop and be reminded of
what we have to look forward to.

We're having an organizational meeting this Saturday - Feb. 20 - at
the Colorado Center for the Blind, 2233 W Shepperd Ave., in Littleton.
This meeting will begin at either 1 PM or after the Denver chapter
meeting concludes, whichever is later.

So please spread the word, and if you can, come down and share your
ideas for what we as blind parents can do for each other, what the NFB
can do for us and our own parenting stories.

If you can't make it to Littleton this time, please feel free to send
thoughts to this list or email me directly at ntrela at gmail.com. And
please share this email with anyone you think might be interested.

Cheers,

Nate Trela