[Colorado-talk] RTD Day Passes

Gary Van Dorn garyvdrn at msn.com
Thu Jan 7 13:24:48 UTC 2016

The Regional Transportation District (RTD) recently instituted the purchase of Day Passes on all Regional and Local services.  You may use Day Passes from 4 a.m. to 2:59 a.m. the next day.  The Day Pass costs twice the price of the fair you would normally pay.  It is possible to find more information on their cost at www.rtd-denver.com.  The rider purchases the Day Pass at a kiosk at the LightRail Station or from the Operator of a bus.

I purchased a Day Pass this past Saturday on a 0.  The Day Pass was very useful in conducting several errands Saturday.  The Day Pass saved me money.  I paid $5.20 for the day pass since I pay the regular fair on Local Service.  One thing I noticed was the day pass printer was not easily found using one’s eye (or eyes).  The printing of the day pass is very quiet so using my ears was not easy due to the sounds of passengers and outside traffic on Lincoln.  RTD uses a thermal printer to produce these passes.  (The Portland, Oregon Transit System uses the same printers for their day passes.)  I asked the Operator where the pass printed and he kindly advised me the printer is behind the validator on that bus.  I was riding a new 40 foot bus.  The next bus I rode was a 15L and the bus was also one of the new articulated buses.  I noticed the pass printer was in a different location on that 15L.  The 105 I rode is an older model 40 footer and its printer is in a different location.  I also used an 83L which was also an older 40 footer and its printer was in the same location as on the 105 bus I rode.  RTD advised me they wanted to place the printers in the same area although the design of the bus prevented them from doing so.  This is logical since RTD uses several models of bus along with variety of bus depending upon the service.  I do not anticipate the slightly different locations being a problem for we blind people since one may ask the Operator the location of the printer.

I would like to know of any experiences you have concerning the purchase of Day Passes from Operators on the mainline bus or from a kiosk at LightRail stations.  Please send any E-mails to garyvdrn at msn.com.  I will compile your experiences as blind people, and share them with President LaBarre and RTD.  Please share any complaints you make to RTD with me concerning your Day Pass purchase; include any case number given to you by RTD.

Gary Van Dorn
President, Mile High NFBCO
Board Member, NFBCO
Treasurer, NFBCO Sports & Recreation Division