[Colorado-talk] Aurora Chapter Sept. Minutes

B Roman broman83051 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 24 23:46:03 UTC 2017

NFBCO
AURORA CHAPTER
SEPT 16. MEETING
MINUTES

The meeting was called to order at 10:30 am by Wayne Marshall, President.   This months guest speakers are Erin McCarty, previously from Brookdale Senior Living; Angela Lawston, from the City of Aurora Mayors office was also in attendance to present our chapter with a proclamation for Meet The Blind Month in September; Janice Davis, Acting Secretary and Stokes Anderson, President of the Cyber Lyons Club were also participating.  A total of 10 members + 2 guests were present.  Wayne mentioned that several of our members were absent due to illness and others were attending another chapters fundraiser in Black Hawk.

The first order of business was listening to the Presidential Release of the NFB, Number 464 from Mark Ricabono.

Wayne spoke of the State Federations scholarship fundraising procedures such as The Colorado Amazing Raffle.  Proceeds from ticket sales are appropriated into the scholarship funds.  The NFB advocates on the needs of the Blind but also strives to collaborate with other organizations such as attending State of the Secretary sessions; testing the accessibility of voting machines for the blind; partnering with the Cyber Lyons Club - a humanitarian nonprofit organization.  Angela requested information on the NFB - posters, flyers pamphlets etc. which the city of Aurora could distribute to the public.

Blanca read the secretaries report.  It was unanimously approved.  Wayne presented an unofficial financial report due to the treasures absence; an official report will be presented in Novembers meeting.  Per Willie, Treasurer the current available funds were $800.  After deducting expenses for T-shirts and State Convention the current balance is $400.  A more detailed and accurate report will be given at the November meeting, since Octobers meeting will not be held due to conflict with the State Convention.  November’s meeting will be held on the 4th Saturday; but in lieu of Decembers meeting we will celebrate with a Christmas party.

Janet Triplet presented the RTD report; service cutbacks/ decreases coming in January to the R line that goes to Aurora due to insufficient riders.  She also reported that the shuttles at the 16th St. mall have been adapted with a sound making device on each bus that alerts pedestrians.  Angela reported that the City Of Aurora Mayors office is advocating against cutbacks on the R line and a letter has been submitted to RTD.

Stokes Anderson President of the Aurora Cyber Lions Club and Janice Davis, Secretary gave a brief overview of the history of the Cyber Lions Club.  Stokes presented several upcoming events.  November is worldwide Diabetes month so on November 18th  the Cyber Lions Club District 16 will sponsor Lions Stride-a walk for diabetes.  The Cyber Lions Club is requesting collaboration with the NFB; local chapters and the state to plan a Walk for the Blind which will benefit the NFB and the Cyber Lions Eye bank.  More information will be sent via email to Wayne and he will forward it on to the NFB affiliates, chapters and members.

Representing the City of Aurora, Mayors Office, Angela Lawston was introduced by Wayne Marshall to bestow a proclamation for Meet The Blind month in October.  The city is supportive of these initiatives and requested the community reach out to them and let them know what they can do better.  The chapter then gathered together for a group photo.  Thanks and appreciation with deepest gratitude were expressed by Wayne Marshall and all chapter members.

Erin McCarty, previously from Brookdale Senior living then spoke on brain health.  Dementia is a blanket term used for all of the symptoms that are caused by a disease that attacks our brains causing short term memory loss and some of our executive functions to decrease.  It is not known how this affects our brain nor do they know how to heal it, but we do know what we can do to prevent those symptoms from getting out of control . Foods such as blueberries, nuts, and Dark chocolate are brain foods that are good for you.  Pomegranate juice, Red wine, and beans all feed your brain with the nutrition it needs to stay healthy.   Fish high in omega-3, leafy greens, berries have antioxidants which the brain loves (these are antioxidants which help stop inflammation of your brain), it helps the neurons communicate better so if you have a stroke your brain just keeps on working.

As we age we get more forgetful.  One of the many reasons we forget is because of all the information we’ve learned in our lifetime.  So its harder to recall words, places, people but it’s not because you’re forgetfull it’s simply because your brain is so dynamic it takes a long time to recall all this information. Stress, distraction, lack of sleep, Multi tasking are some things that make it harder for us to recall.  Puzzles, learning a new skill, breaking up your regular routine, ballroom dancing, Piano lessons all build new neuron pathways.   Challenge yourself!

The meeting was adjourned at 12:30.

Sent from my iPad