[Colorado-talk] Access to Voting Problems

Curtis Chong chong.curtis at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 16:12:26 UTC 2018

Greetings all:

On Saturday, November 4, Peggy Chong and I went to our polling place to
vote. While I myself was able to mark and print the ballot using the
accessible equipment, Peggy's system crashed right when she activated the
ballot printing function. We worked with the poll workers to address the
problem, and at least three calls were made to the technical support folks.
Peggy had to go through the ballot no less than three times, and after the
third attempt, the ballot was finally printed. In all, the process took
almost two hours and a good deal of persistence on Peggy's part to exercise
her right to vote independently. The poll workers were extremely helpful and
supportive, but the technology itself clearly placed a stumbling block in
Peggy's path.

Blind voters should not have to spend so much time fooling with the
technology to do what everybody else takes for granted-that is, exercise
their right to vote using a completely secret ballot.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong