[Colorado-talk] Access to Voting Problems

Dan Burke burke.dall at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 16:02:13 UTC 2018

Greetings all -

It's the day before election day 2018 and we have a number of blind
members who have experienced barriers in accessible, private
independent voting in the past week.  Julie and I, for example, were
unable even to get to the ballot on the electronic voting machines
last week.  After 45 minutes and several calls to the county election
help desk, we decided that we would come back and try again rather
than having our votes recorded by the poll workers.  That was our
choice, and we have yet to cast our ballots.

With reports from other blind voters of their difficulties, we need
some feedback from everyone.  Please contact me if you have voted with
the electronic voting system.  Tell me if the voting machine had
problems, if the poll worker called for technical support, and if you
ultimately voted with the machine or with a poll worker marking your
ballot.  Also send me a note if you voted and had no difficulty with
the voting machine.  I also want to know where you voted and what
county.  Right now, everybody I know who had difficulty were in
Arapahoe County, but since this system is used across the state we're
worried that others have also had difficulties.

I'm sure all on the list would appreciate it if not all of you replied
on the list.  Please feel free to e-mail me at burke.dall at gmail.com,
or call my cell, which is listed in the signature below.

The right to cast a private and independent vote is a human right.  We
obviously have some work to do to protect our rights.

Best,
Dan

President, NFB of Denver

"Blindness is not what holds you back.  You can live the life you want!"