[Colorado-Talk] FW: [NFBofSC] Positive Note 1764

Steve & Shannon Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Wed Jun 3 17:01:09 UTC 2020

From: NFBofSC <nfbofsc-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of David Houck via
NFBofSC
Sent: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 9:02 AM
To: nfbofsc at nfbnet.org
Cc: David Houck <nfbsc at sc.rr.com>
Subject: [NFBofSC] Positive Note 1764

June 3, 2020

Others

From:  Frank Coppel, President

Positive Note 1764

Greetings Fellow Federationists:

              As stated in last week's Positive Note, the NFB of SC Board of
Directors met Monday evening, June 1, for the purpose of discussing whether
to hold this year's state convention virtually or in-person.  After a great
deal of discussion, the Board voted overwhelmingly to hold a virtual state
convention during the weekend of August 21-23.  During the next few days,
you will be receiving a state convention letter containing information
regarding online registration (which is free) and other details of our 2020
NFB of SC state convention.  We will also be posting the letter on the NFB
of SC list serve and website.  During the NFB of SC Connects Zoom meeting on
Thursday evening, June 4, at 5:00 p.m., we will try to answer questions
regarding this year's virtual state convention.  Your input is greatly
appreciated, so please make plans to attend this very important meeting.

              We have an announcement from Shelley Coppel, Co-director of
Senior camp.  "Greetings from Spring Senior Camp, "I would like to give a
big Thanks to Shannon Cook, and all of you who called in for our first
Virtual Senior Camp, May 30, 2020.  We began at 10 a.m. with greetings from
Linda Bible at Rocky Bottom.  She reported that all was well at camp.  There
were approximately 24 individuals who called in, many of whom have not been
able to attend senior camp in a while.  We played Bingo, and ended our time
with two discussion questions.  We had a lively discussion about
alternatives for cooking as well.   Just a quick reminder to send Bingo
cards back to the Federation Center in Columbia.  These can be mailed "Free
Matter for the Blind".

              Please continue to register for the 2020 NFB national
convention which will be held virtually July 14-18.  The deadline to
register is June 15 2020.  Registration for this year's national convention
is free. If you do not register, you will not be eligible to get access to
exclusive offers, convention announcements, door prizes, and other exciting
content.  I am very pleased to report 91 South Carolinians thus far have
registered for the convention.  Keep up the great work and let's see if we
can register 120 or more South Carolinians by June 15.  To register, go to
nfb.org/registration.  If you need assistance to fill out the online
registration form, feel free to contact Steve Cook at (803) 254-0222 or
David Houck at the Federation Center at (803) 254-3777.

Schedule for the 2020 NFB national convention

Tuesday, July 14, Seminar Day

Wednesday, July 15, National Board of Directors meeting (opened to all),
Resolutions committee meeting

Thursday, July 16, Division meetings, Opening Ceremonies

Friday, July 17, general session, Presidential report, state affiliate
caucuses

Saturday July 18, business session, resolutions, banquet

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
between blind people and our dreams.  You can live the life you want:
blindness is not what holds you back.

              Final Thought:  Transforming dreams into reality:  If someone
turns down your idea by saying, "we've already tried it but it didn't work,"
it might be their polite way of turning it down or maybe they did not
examine why it didn't work.  Either way, if you are creative enough, it may
well work successfully.