[Colorado-Talk] Navigating Healthcare When All They Can See is that You Can't

Curtis Chong chong.curtis at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 17:16:05 UTC 2021

Greetings to all:

Here is a link to a review about a book entitled Navigating Healthcare When
All They Can See is that You Can't, published in the January edition of the
Braille Monitor, the flagship publication of the National Federation of the
Blind.

https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm21/bm2101/bm210111.htm

The book itself can be purchased from the National Braille Press
<http://www.nbp.org/>  in a variety of formats, including plain text, large
print, Microsoft Word, or braille-unfortunately, not audio-for $12-$14.50. A
synopsis, lifted from the page describing the book
<https://www.nbp.org/ic/nbp/NAV-HEALTH.html?from_search=1> , follows:

______________________________

Navigating our complicated health care system is essential for anyone
interested in remaining healthy. If you happen to be blind, chances are you
are familiar with the misperception by others of what our blindness means.
>From technicians who try to help us take off our clothes in the dressing
room to doctors who shine lights in our prosthetic eyes, we have all dealt
with this phenomenon at one point or another. This is not a book about
Obamacare or Medicare or any other sort of medical insurance. It is not a
manual on choosing health care coverage plans. It is, rather, a look at how
best to navigate those health care situations when "all they can see is that
you can't." Deborah Kendrick looks at various health care situations,
physically and programmatically, and explores which setting is most
appropriate in given situations and what to expect when you get there.
Sometimes, your strategies will involve techniques. Sometimes, they will
involve technology. Always, they will involve attitude - your own and the
ones you help manifest in those whose job it is to provide your health care.

Table of Contents
Medical Disclaimer
Introduction
Chapter 1: At the Doctor's Office
Concierge Medicine
The Office Visit
Those Pesky Medical Forms
On with the Show
Chapter 2: Outpatient Tests and Procedures
A Handful of Tests
What About the Dog
Surgery and Other Outpatient Procedures
Same-Day Surgery from a Blindness Perspective
Chapter 3: Emergencies
Calling 9-1-1
In the ER
Walk-in Clinics
Urgent Care Centers
Minute and Other Retail Clinics
Chapter 4: Hospital Stays
The Room with No View
Blindness According to You
A Word About Gratitude
Be an Advocate and Bring One
Blind but Intelligent
The Planned Hospital or Rehab Stay
Short-Term Rehabilitation
Chapter 5: For Blind Parents and Grandparents
Stay Close
Getting the Picture First
Not Just Children
Chapter 6: Managing Medications
Braille Labels
Measuring Meds
ScripTalk
Chapter 7: Using Technology to Narrow the Gap
Evaluating Your Future Doctor
WebMD
More Search Engine Tips
A Word About Forms and Patient Portals
Seeing What's Around You
Monitoring Health at Home
Talking Scales
Smart Bluetooth Scale
Talking Thermometer
Talking Blood Pressure Monitor
Smart Blood Pressure Monitor
Talking Glucose Meter
Continuous Glucose Monitor
Talking Oximeter
Chapter 8: The Art of Knowing When
Knowing When Blindness Is an Issue

I think that we all might find this book to be of help. Knowing the author,
Deborah Kendrick, as I do, I believe this is an excellent read.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong