[Colorado-Talk] [Nfbnet-members-list] Legislative Alert 7/20/21 - Subminimum Wages Hearing Tomorrow

Dan Burke burke.dall at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 17:26:52 UTC 2021

Good morning -
The Transition to Competitive Employment Act (TCE) has been
reintroduced this year as H.R. 2373. TCE will phase out subminimum
wages under 14 (c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act, and it has 16
cosponsors so far. None of these are from Colorado.

Anil Lewis, Director of Blindness Initiatives for the National
Federation of the Blind gave powerful and meaningful testimony  this
morning, along with others during this morning's joint hearing before
the House Subcommittee on Workforce Protections and the United States
House Subcommittee on Civil Rights and Human Services. As john pare's
email yesterday says, it's time for us to start working on cosponsors
in our Colorado House delegation, several of whom have cosponsored
similar bills in the past decade or more.

Colorado is one of the seven states in which subminimum wages for
workers with disabilities is being phased out. Just this year
legislation was passed in the state legislature to assist providers to
successfully transition their workers to jobs that pay at least the
minimum wage. But the other 43 states need our delegation's support to
end this practice.

Here are the 7 Colorado members of the U.S. House of Representatives
and their staffer's names. You can write directly to this staffer if
you whish to email them about cosponsoring H.R. 2373. The DC office
phone number for each Colorado member is also included.

When you call or write, identify yourself and also as a member of the
National Federation of the Blind of Colorado, say you live in the
Representative's district, and that you are asking  that member to
cosponsor H.R. 2373 to bring an end to the practice of paying workers
with disabilities less than minimum wages.  And include the link to
Anil Lewis's written testimony:
https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/anil-lewiss-written-testimony-joint-hearing-regarding

Perlmutter, Ed  HD7-Dem
Tia Bogeljic
Tia.Bogeljic at mail.house.gov
202-225-2645 @repperlmutter

DeGette, Diana HD1-Dem
Santos, SherieLou
<SherieLou.Santos at mail.house.gov>
202-225-4431
@RepDianaDeGette

Lamborn, Doug  HD5-R
Holland, Peter
<Peter.Holland at mail.house.gov>
202-225-4422
@RepDLamborn

Crow, Jason HD6-Dem
Ddaniel Tsang
Daniel.Tsang at mail.house.gov
(202) 225-7882
@repJasonCrow

Neguse, Joseph HD2-Dem
Abbie Callahan
Abbie.Callahan at mail.house.gov
202-225-2161
@RepJoeNeguse

Buck, Ken HD4-R
Zach Mendelovici
Zach.Mendelovici at mail.house.gov
202-225-4676
@RepKenBuck

Note: Rep. Boebert never rsponded to our earlier requests to meet for
the Washington Seminar. So we don't have a staffer's name or an email.
To send her a message, follow the link below to her House web site and
complete the form.

Boebert, Lauren HD3-R
202-225-4761
@RepBoebert