[Colorado-Talk] FW: Running/Walking App for Visually Impaired

maryannmigs at gmail.com maryannmigs at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 01:05:47 UTC 2022

I have been asked to disseminate the following information. Please help Larissa and pass it along to others in the blind community who use the trails for exercise.

My name is Larissa Schwartz and I am currently a graduate student at CU Boulder, in the School of Engineering. I am trying to develop an app to assist visually impaired runners/walkers in guiding themselves independently on a trail. I am currently conducting research right now for the app, and I have four questions for visually impaired walkers/runners to answer below. If you are visually impaired or know others with visual impairment and have the time to answer the questions below, I would truly appreciate your help! If a phone call is easier for you, please let me know! Thanks so much for your time and let me know if you have any questions!! My contact information is schwartz.larissa at gmail.com <mailto:schwartz.larissa at gmail.com>  and/or (312) 399-4272.

Here are the questions:

1) How long have you been running/walking with your visual impairment?

2) What are your biggest challenges/obstacles that you’ve encountered while walking/running on a trail?

3) What kind of assistance do you feel has been the most successful in helping you exercise and feeling safe?

4) If you had a magic wand, what kind of walking/running assistance would you create to make the experience more successful?

Thanks again,

Larissa Schwartz