[Colorado-Talk] 16th Street Mall Project: Paver Preview

Curtis Chong chong.curtis at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 17:35:06 UTC 2022

Greetings and salutations:

Many of you may recall that when the 16th Street Mall project began way back
in 2019, we in the National Federation of the Blind of Colorado adopted a
resolution at our convention which demanded that the City of County of
Denver ensure that in the redesigned 16th Street Mall, there is a separation
that can be easily felt between places where people can walk and the street.
We have been waiting for almost three years now to examine a preview of how
the City of Denver plans to provide the tactual boundaries that we need.

We have received word that PCL Construction, in partnership with the Denver
Department of Transportation and Infrastructure, will host three in-person
sessions to give us a sneak peek of the curbless design and new granite
pavers on the future 16th Street Mall.

Location:            The Outer Space
Northwest corner of 16th Street Mall and Welton
(601-649 16th Street Mall)
Denver, CO 80202

First Event:         Tuesday, July 26 from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

Second Event:    Wednesday, August 10 from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m.

Third event:        Wednesday, August 17 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

This is perhaps our best chance to learn how well the City of Denver is
listening to concerns expressed by the blind community. I urge any and all
to take the time to come to any of the three above sessions to examine how
we, people who are blind, will be able to detect the boundary between where
we can walk and the street where the free mall rides will continue to
operate.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Best regards,

Curtis Chong