[Colorado-Talk] Save the Date for the PHD Celebration

chongpeggy10 at gmail.com chongpeggy10 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 02:19:43 UTC 2022

SAVE THE DATE

OCTOBER 14, 2022, 4-6 pm.

National Federation of the Blind of Colorado

Celebrates

Preservation of Historical Documents Project

At

Colorado Center for the Blind

2233 W. Shepperd Ave. Littleton

A celebration of the National Federation of the Blind of Colorado's efforts
to preserve long-forgotten records and memorabilia found in the basement of
the Colorado Center for the Blind after a leaky pipe burst, has been
completed.

Records of the history of the blind activities of Colorado, dating back to
1915 have been saved for anyone to read, research, and learn of the
real-life stories of the blind in Colorado. More importantly, they are
accessible to the blind!

Even in "Special Collections" this compilation of minutes, news articles,
publications, and assorted files are unique. No where is such a collection
available, documenting any disability group and its members. Organizational
material from the United Workers for the Blind, The Colorado Federation of
the Blind, The Denver Area Association for the Blind and The National
Federation of the Blind, are represented in this collection. News articles
highlighting employment, special events, laws, and more, weave a history of
the struggles and triumphs of blind individuals and as a whole.

Through the Colorado Virtual Library and the Plains to Peaks Collective
Service Hub (PPC) of the Digital Public Library of America (DPLA),
established to bring together the unique digital collections of the cultural
heritage organizations within the states of Colorado and Wyoming, our blind
history is preserved and readily accessible to all, including the blind! The
DPLA website is a portal that allows visitors to discover and then go
directly to the digital collection of the history of the Blind of Colorado.

Come join us on October 14, to celebrate as we honor our dozens of
volunteers who made this possible. Colorado Representative David Ortiz will
address the group on the importance of knowing our history in the disability
community. A gift of our collection will be presented to Nichole Chrissis of
the Jacobus tenBroek Library in Baltimore, Maryland.

Tours of the Colorado Center for the Blind will be available at 3pm. Please
RSVP for your tour.

For more information, contact.

Peggy Chong

 <mailto:chongpeggy10 at gmail.com> chongpeggy10 at gmail.com