[Colorado-Talk] FW: Notice to Commission for the Deaf, Hard of Hearing, and DeafBlind stakeholders

Julie Reiskin jreiskin at ccdconline.org
Thu Dec 14 16:00:55 UTC 2023

This was known before July 2023 by some.  I have heard in the past couple
of days from interpreters who were not getting paid in April and May of
last year.  They were not paid in April and May and had to wait until
September.  None of this was made public to the community.  The same
happened to SSP providers.  I think asking why CDHS did not ask for more
money last year is a very good question and why they did not even ask for
more money in this upcoming budget that begins July 01 2024 is another good
question.  Completely inexcusable in my opinion.   They claim they did not
know the true need, did not have data, but I do not believe this.  I think
part of the problem is lack of cultural competence to work with the
community.  The notice from CDHS is not going to be readable to most of our
Deaf brothers and sisters because English is not their primary language and
this notice is college level or higher and not written so that it is easy
to understand even for those of us who are strongly proficient in English.
  The Commission staff do not have budget staff or analysts on their team
but CDHS does and should have been supporting the Commission.

--

With Gratitude,

Julie Reiskin
Co-Executive Director
Email Address: jreiskin at ccdconline.org
Colorado Cross-Disability Coalition
1385 S. Colorado Blvd. Bldg. A., Suite 610
Denver, CO 80222
Organizational phone: 303-839-1775 | Direct Phone: 303-667-4216

*Looking for ways to support our mission? Follow these links:*
*Join our membership for free
<https://ccdconline.org/take-action/membership/> | Online giving
<https://www.ccdconline.org/donate/> | Other ways to support
<http://www.ccdconline.org/donate/other-ways-to-give/>*

*CCDC is headquartered in Denver*; we acknowledge that Denver is on the
occupied land of the Ute, Arapaho, and Cheyenne people

*Nothing about us without us - ever!*
<https://ccdconline.org/>
... <https://www.facebook.com/CCDC.CO> <https://twitter.com/CCDC501c3>
*Click the logos above or the text here to connect with us
at ccdconline.org <https://ccdconline.org/>, Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/CCDC.CO>, or Twitter
<https://twitter.com/CCDC501c3>*

On Thu, Dec 14, 2023 at 8:50 AM Dan Burke via Colorado-Talk <
colorado-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:

> Thank you for sharing this Doula. IOt's helpful to read this. The
> question that needs to b e asked of these folks, and tomorrow is a
> good time at the JBC hearing on CDHS, "Did these trends just start on
> July 1, 2023? And if not, why didn't CDHS ask for more moneyin the
> last legislature?"
>

> On 12/13/23, Doula Jarboe via Colorado-Talk <colorado-talk at nfbnet.org>
> wrote:
> > Greetings to My Federation Family,
> >
> >     I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season.  This is the
> most
> > recent information I have received about the Commission and so am
> passing it
> > along to all of you.  I very much hope we can find both a short-term and
> > long-term solution to keeping these services running.  Thanks.
> >
> > Warmly,
> >
> > Doula

material. Any review, re-transmission, dissemination or other use of, or
computer.