[Colorado-Talk] More Written Comments Are Needed for Technology Accessibility Rules

Mike Thompson mthompso at nmsu.edu
Fri Jan 19 20:32:43 UTC 2024

Done!
Sent from my iPad

On Jan 18, 2024, at 1:09 PM, Curtis Chong via Colorado-Talk <colorado-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:

WARNING This email originated external to the NMSU email system. Do not click on links or open attachments unless you are sure the content is safe.
Hello everyone:

As it turns out, we, the public, are still going to be allowed to submit written (emailed) comments about technology accessibility rules that are being developed by the Governor's Office of Information Technology (OIT).

It is important that OIT hears from people who are in the blind/disability community about these technology accessibility rules—rules that have never before existed in Colorado. I am told that there are lots of comments being submitted from governmental officials at the local level. There are fewer comments from advocates and activists in our community. We need to do something about this.

How Can You Help

Here is what you can do to support our work in this important area.

  1.  Send a supportive email to oit_rules at state.co.us<mailto:oit_rules at state.co.us>.
  2.  In the subject, enter "Comments on Technology Accessibility Rules Draft".
  3.  In the body of the email, say that you are in support of the comments made by the National Federation of the Blind of Colorado about the proposed rules and that you hope that the final rules reflect the changes recommended by the Federation.

What is The NFB of Colorado's Position?

  1.  Governmental agencies do not need two years in order to comply with the most recently-published Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG). One year to comply is a more reasonable timeline.
  2.  The rule itself does not need to have an exhaustive list of examples that might constitute undue burdens for governmental agencies. Such examples are better listed in a guidance document published outside of the context of the rule itself.

If you have any questions or concerns about this, please feel free to call me. My mobile number is 515-306-1654.

Let us not be outnumbered by local government officials who may not be as strongly committed to accessibility as we are.

Best wishes,

Curtis Chong

To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for Colorado-Talk:
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/colorado-talk_nfbnet.org/mthompso%40nmsu.edu